Where is the project at with normals/parallax?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
lysol

Re: Where is the project at with normals/parallax?

Post by lysol »

Capostrophic wrote:Also PeterBitt, but he makes accent on MGE XE's PBR. I asked him about "OpenMW version" of his nix-hound replacer, and he answered that it will be to much work to maintain both versions and he'd just wait until someone implements PBR in OpenMW.
You could on the other hand just download the mod and copy the tx_NixHound_n.dds-file from "Materials/PB/" to "Textures/PB/". It should work. I did that with his scamp replacer, and it worked. The PBR version of MGE just organizes stuff differently.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

lysol wrote:
Capostrophic wrote:Also PeterBitt, but he makes accent on MGE XE's PBR. I asked him about "OpenMW version" of his nix-hound replacer, and he answered that it will be to much work to maintain both versions and he'd just wait until someone implements PBR in OpenMW.
You could on the other hand just download the mod and copy the tx_NixHound_n.dds-file from "Materials/PB/" to "Textures/PB/". It should work. I did that with his scamp replacer, and it worked. The PBR version of MGE just organizes stuff differently.
ikr.
jermungand

Post by jermungand »

Capostrophic wrote:OpenMW is not a mod or a game, dammit.
People on this forum need to stop acting like this needs saying. So just because OpenMW is an engine that supports normal mapping, that somehow means I shouldn't even consider the likelihood of actually seeing that feature get used? If the eventuality of playing Morrowind with normal mapping isn't a relevant issue here, then why is there a team creating an engine in which this can be done?

Yes, I know that making the normals is not what the team responsible for making OpenMW in the first place actually does. I really ought to be able to talk about the desired end for which OpenMW was made, without having to go through another round over what OpenMW is by itself. :roll: Let's move on already.
magamo

Post by magamo »

jermungand wrote:
Capostrophic wrote:OpenMW is not a mod or a game, dammit.
People on this forum need to stop acting like this needs saying. So just because OpenMW is an engine that supports normal mapping, that somehow means I shouldn't even consider the likelihood of actually seeing that feature get used? If the eventuality of playing Morrowind with normal mapping isn't a relevant issue here, then why is there a team creating an engine in which this can be done?

Yes, I know that making the normals is not what the team responsible for making OpenMW in the first place actually does. I really ought to be able to talk about the desired end for which OpenMW was made, without having to go through another round over what OpenMW is by itself. :roll: Let's move on already.
Respectfully, I disagree with you. If an erroneous statement is made about the nature of a project on the project's official forum, then I certainly believe that the statement should be corrected. Perhaps not in quite the same manner that Capostrophic did, but certainly it 'needs saying'. OpenMW is an engine replacement.

Yes, it's a shame that retextures with normal and parallax mapping for OpenMW over the entirety of Morrowind have not been created yet. Keep in mind, that the feature in question only made it into a release of the project approximately three weeks ago. Give it time. Lysol is doing amazing things, but right now Lysol is just one person. If you are artistically inclined, or know someone with the skills to help Lysol out, have them collaborate on the project to help it along faster.