Pink screen while game loads

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
stasuss

Pink screen while game loads

Post by stasuss »

Hello all,

i've opensuse and i've installed OpenMW from the repository there (so it is prebuild).
pointed it to the folder of morrowind goty (gog). when it just loads it shows progressbar somehow, but it appears on pinky background. then where menu sopposed to be, there is just a pink screen. but it shows video cutscenes right in the beginning.

seems like it misses textures, but what can i do? :?
scrawl

Re: Pink screen while game loads

Post by scrawl »

Hi,

please check: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... on_support
OpenMW requires S3TC texture compression support. If you are using a proprietary video driver, you will usually have S3TC support out of the box. With open-source drivers on Linux, you may need to install S3TC support separately. An indicator for missing S3TC support are white textures.

On Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0
Don't know what that s3tc package is called on OpenSUSE. The maintainers should add it as dependency of the OpenMW package.
stasuss

Post by stasuss »

yeah, i saw it. but there are only a few packages available by that lib:

Code: Select all

S | Name                    | Summary                                                   | Type      
--+-------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+-----------
i | libtxc_dxtn             | Open source implementation of the patent infridged S3 T-> | package   
  | libtxc_dxtn             | Open source implementation of the patent infridged S3 T-> | srcpackage
  | libtxc_dxtn-debuginfo   | Debug information for package libtxc_dxtn                 | package   
  | libtxc_dxtn-debugsource | Debug sources for package libtxc_dxtn                     | package   
  | libtxc_dxtn-devel       | Open source implementation of the patent infridged S3 T-> | package 
i think i already have this dependency (maintainer should know what is needed for OpenMW tho). but how can i check whether i have this installed?

i've also found 'force_s3tc_enable=true' flag on steam forum. but i don't know how to apply it to OpenMW. they add it to game properties in steam client.

and what's more, i've tried many games on my pc, wine and native, and none of them showed pink textures before. may be it is not linked with s3tc?

found the source: no readerwriter for 'dds' found
but how to fix it??
damiel

Post by damiel »

I think the "i" in front of the first entry in your console output should give you a hint wether you have it installed or not. ;)
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

but how to fix it??
You are missing the required OSG plugin. Check if your OSG package contains the file osgdb_dds.so. If you don't have it, then you will need to compile OSG from source or ask the OpenSUSE OSG package maintainers to include this file.
stasuss

Post by stasuss »

damiel wrote:I think the "i" in front of the first entry in your console output should give you a hint wether you have it installed or not. ;)
yeah i know, that's why i was wondering what is happening
stasuss

Post by stasuss »

scrawl wrote:
but how to fix it??
You are missing the required OSG plugin. Check if your OSG package contains the file osgdb_dds.so. If you don't have it, then you will need to compile OSG from source or ask the OpenSUSE OSG package maintainers to include this file.
this hint was very helpfull. it appeared that OpenSceneGraph-plugins package was not installed. how can i ask maintainer of repo to fix this issue?