Vivec retexture to show off/test shaders

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
DestinedToDie

Re: Vivec retexture to show off/test shaders

Post by DestinedToDie »

There´s 2 ways to fix the seam (or more, I dunno):

1. Unwrap the UV perfectly.
2. Texture paint over the seam. I´ve heard of Zbrush and other tools that let you do this, but you can also do it in Blender https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsJUnvhsCDk Even though you are visually painting over the model, you are actually editing the texture to fit the UV seamlessly, so you don´t have to include vivec nifs in your retexture.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Which seam are we talking about now? The really huge ugly seams that were before are fixed. The seams still there are because of the bad unwrapping at some places. Please post a screenshot if you've found a bad seam that needs fixing and I'll look into it.

Smart tool with blender there btw.
lysol

Post by lysol »

So finally, the first real release is here. 1.0! :D

I'm really happy to be able to release this finally. There will probably be a few patches later, some stuff will probably need to get fixed.

So anyway, thanks for all the help guys. Couldn't have done this without you (cliché? Sure. But it's true!). Here's a link:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44259/?
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

Great milestone, thanks :o
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Finally, an OpenMW-exclusive replacer mod - and true to the original textures. Congratulations, lysol!
I'll test v1.0 as soon as possible; it always makes a huge difference to use a "final" product rather than a WIP version. :D
lysol

Post by lysol »

Thank you guys! :)

To be fair though, there isn't that much of a difference between 0.2.1 and 1.0. Mostly fixes and a few less important textures added.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Of course, but I meant the psychological level. Pretty much the same reason why people don't start playing OpenMW - it's not 1.0.
Rumina

Post by Rumina »

Since it hasn't been said yet, I'll say it, WOW

It looks great! I mean not only does it look polished, but if you take the time to compare it to your earlier work you've come a long long way. I'm really impressed man. Nice stuff.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Thank you!

@scrawl: There are some textures that have specular maps at the moment, and I might remove some of them in a future patch. Since extracting a 7zip file only adds/overwrites files and can't remove files (obviously) I'm having a bit of trouble here. We all know many people are bad at reading instructions and only wants to extract, overwrite and play. What if I would make specular maps with only pitch black color, both in RGB and in alpha? Would that make any sense or will stuff look weird?

@everybody: ...or is there some easy way to remove files automatically, like a script or something? A script would work of course, but it won't be multi platform AFAIK (*.bat file for windows, *.sh for linux, with different languages etc), so I don't know if that's a very good solution anyway.
Chris

Post by Chris »

lysol wrote:Since extracting a 7zip file only adds/overwrites files and can't remove files (obviously) I'm having a bit of trouble here. We all know many people are bad at reading instructions and only wants to extract, overwrite and play.
Anyone who does this is going to have far more problems than with just this mod. OpenMW even makes it easier by allowing the mod to be in its own folder that can be cleared without breaking anything else, so if they're still just dumping it into Data Files, it's their problem.

I'd probably just have a list of now-removed files in the readme somewhere so people know what to delete if they need to, but if they're not using a mod manager or making use of OpenMW's multiple data dirs, then they need to pick up the pieces.