Vivec retexture to show off/test shaders

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
lysol

Re: Vivec retexture to show off/test shaders

Post by lysol »

raevol wrote:Is it just me or does everything look kind of shiny like it's wet?
Might not be just you! It's the specular maps. They are really hard to get right, cause either you get no shinyness or you get too much. I would like to have just a tiny tiny bit on the walls (I guess it's the walls that look too wet now, or..?) and a bit more on polished stone and a lot on metal and glass. I do agree that some are too shiny at the moment. Thanks.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

It might just be that vanilla Morrowind doesn´t use speculars and if you put speculars and bump maps into the game, it´s going to look unusually different from the rest of the textures.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

I wouldn't say it looks wet as much as it looks like everything is covered in glass.
Svetomech

Post by Svetomech »

Would you by any chance also upload this to Nexusmods? It's just so convenient to install mods using their mod manager.
UPD: Though now thinking of it, it wouldn't be any reasonable since original game doesn't support specular & parallax mapping (only bump one as I remember?).
lysol

Post by lysol »

Svetomech wrote:Would you by any chance also upload this to Nexusmods? It's just so convenient to install mods using their mod manager.
UPD: Though now thinking of it, it wouldn't be any reasonable since original game doesn't support specular & parallax mapping (only bump one as I remember?).
Yes, first off the shader textures are for OpenMW only. Second, it's still so much left to do (missing textures and the specular maps looking too shiny) that I don't want an official release yet.

So, since it seems that most think that they are too shiny, I'm gonna try to fix it. It would be really nice to know what excactly is too shiny. Walls is obvious, I think so too, but what about other stuff? Floor? The green boxes on the leaning pillars? Etc.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Threw together some normal maps of my own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZE6I-xeL44
lysol

Post by lysol »

DestinedToDie wrote:Threw together some normal maps of my own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZE6I-xeL44
Nice work!
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

lysol wrote:
raevol wrote:Is it just me or does everything look kind of shiny like it's wet?
Might not be just you! It's the specular maps. They are really hard to get right, cause either you get no shinyness or you get too much. I would like to have just a tiny tiny bit on the walls (I guess it's the walls that look too wet now, or..?) and a bit more on polished stone and a lot on metal and glass. I do agree that some are too shiny at the moment. Thanks.
Specular maps are textures that allow you to control the shinyness, where black means no specular and white means 100% specular (maybe the other way around). You can not generate specular maps automaticly, they need to be assembled by hand. You have to define which parts of the texture are supposed to be shiny and which are not, having one global shinyness value for a whole texture wont work well and give that plastic look.

But maybe you shouldnt spend to much time on specular maps, they might become obsolete when/if Hrnchamd's PBR implementation gets implemented into OpenMW. It requires a bit different approach and makes specular maps obsolete. Perfect training ground for that would be the MGE XE PBR prototype, its allready working perfectly:

https://imgur.com/a/kLx44
https://imgur.com/a/eTe0V
(my models and textures all WIP)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@PeterBitt: Damn, that looks great! What are your future plans? Maybe redoing all vanilla textures *cough* MOAR project *cough*? :)

@scrawl: This is a must-have feature for v0.40.0. ;)
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

@PeterBitt: you are GOD OF THE MORROШIND! :o you have plans to redo all faces for npc and monsters? With OpenMW, new sceletons and animations this will be better then modern games and this is my dream!