Vivec retexture to show off/test shaders

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
bahamut

Re: Vivec retexture to show off/test shaders

Post by bahamut »

TheMechanist wrote:I have no idea if this is helpful. But I just stumbled over this software bundle: https://groupees.com/software
A software called MindTex 2 ist included who claims to do stuff you mentioned. It's probably worth a look...
Whoa might grab this for myself
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@lysol: May I use your textures for a little showcase in the current release videos? Of course, all credits go to you (and scrawl, the grey eminence ;) ).

The opening post links to your current texture files, right? If you allow me to show them, is there anything else to their installation than dropping the files into my data folder?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

In settings.cfg (located in my documents/MyGames/OpenMW for me) add in:

[Shaders]
auto use object normal maps = true

auto use object specular maps = true

auto use terrain normal maps = true

auto use terrain specular maps = true

normal map pattern = _n
normal height map pattern = _nh

specular map pattern = _spec

terrain specular map pattern = _diffusespec
lysol

Post by lysol »

Atahualpa wrote:@lysol: May I use your textures for a little showcase in the current release videos? Of course, all credits go to you (and scrawl, the grey eminence ;) ).

The opening post links to your current texture files, right? If you allow me to show them, is there anything else to their installation than dropping the files into my data folder?
Sure! They are work in progress though, so you might want to call them "an experiment with shaders" instead of a texture pack. ;)

Btw, I haven't had the time to work on these for a while now, but I'll probably do some more next weekend.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

DestinedToDie wrote: normal map pattern = _n
normal height map pattern = _nh

specular map pattern = _spec

terrain specular map pattern = _diffusespec
These are already defined that way in default config and so would be bogus in user config.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

They may be in default config, but the game doesn´t use them unless you add them into settings.cfg in my doc/my games/openmw. Just tested with my normal maps.

Edit: Oh, you´re actually right.
Last edited by DestinedToDie on 10 Apr 2016, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

DestinedToDie wrote:They may be in default config, but the game doesn´t use them unless you add them into settings.cfg in my doc/my games/openmw. Just tested with my normal maps.
Actually the game uses them, you're probably doing something wrong?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Hey, lysol!I've just tested your textures and everything looks good so far. Given the fact that these are your early results, I'm really looking forward to more stuff! :)

From a quick test: Some borders between single textures look strange, e.g. the edges of the canton isles, where there is one "corner" mesh and two adjacent "straight" meshes, one on each side. The transition looks quite blurry which is best seen on the bottom lines. Moreover, the middle parts of some bridges are lighted differently compared to the adjacent parts.

Anyway, great work!
lysol

Post by lysol »

Atahualpa wrote: From a quick test: Some borders between single textures look strange, e.g. the edges of the canton isles, where there is one "corner" mesh and two adjacent "straight" meshes, one on each side. The transition looks quite blurry which is best seen on the bottom lines.
Not sure exactly what you mean here. Care to take a screenshot?
Atahualpa wrote:Moreover, the middle parts of some bridges are lighted differently compared to the adjacent parts.
Yes, I am aware of that. Unfortunately I have no idea why it behaves like that. Scrawl looked a bit at it and thought the problem was with the normal maps. I did have some problems with colors which made me suspect the same. I have solved these issues now (and the problem was never with the normal maps anyway) and the problem is still there. I have kinda forgotten to update him on the bug report I filed on the issue, but I'll do it now. :)

So basically: I believe it is a bug with OpenMW, but scrawl will have to confirm what's really the problem.
Atahualpa wrote:Anyway, great work!
Thanks! :)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

There you go. This issue may be related to the above-mentioned bridge lighting problem.
Vivec-Retexture_01.jpg
Vivec-Retexture_02.jpg
Vivec-Retexture_03.jpg
Vivec-Retexture_04.jpg