Draw DIstance

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Ensayia

Draw DIstance

Post by Ensayia »

I know Distant Land isn't implemented yet, but is there any way to force a greater draw distance than the slider allows in the settings menu? I took a peek in the config files but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!
hircine

Re: Draw DIstance

Post by hircine »

Hi Ensayia,

There is a settings.cfg file that you will need to edit, if you are on windows this is under documents/My Games/OpenMW

Underneath the [Camera] option, edit the "viewing distance" I have mine set to 20,000,

I believe you also need to change "exterior cell load distance" under [Cells]

Snippet from my config:

Code: Select all

[Camera]
field of view = 75.5966
viewing distance = 20000

[Cells]
exterior cell load distance = 2
decent performance for my setup. (i3 3.4Ghz, GTX 770).

You will have to tweak these numbers until you get desired view distance/performance.

I have refractions and shaders turned off for water. this is a big performance hit for me, so keep that in mind.

Cheers,
Hircine.
Ensayia

Re: Draw DIstance

Post by Ensayia »

This worked! I have an FX-8350 and an GTX 660 myself, and I can get a MUCH improved draw distance by tweaking these effects. The water shader does seem to have a huge impact on performace as you said, but I can cerainly live without it.

Obviously, having more exterior cells loaded is also a major performance hit. I can use your settings and still get over 60FPS with the water shader off, but if I bump the preload cells down I get visual oddities, like only parts of the Vivec cantons loaded at once. I'll attach a picture.

Still, this is fantasic and I thank you for your help. Is there any place more settings like this might be documented? I'd be open to experimentation :D. I found the other configuration settings on the wiki :D

EDIT: I just linked it. It's massive (2560x1080).

http://bit-fridge.net/screenshot000.png