some textures aren't rendered correctly

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: some textures aren't rendered correctly

Post by psi29a »

Zini wrote:Both.
I appreciate your laconic style. :P
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

worsas wrote: And if the tweak of the mw-codepatch is added in, it will be appreciated, too, as it really improves on the effect and wouldmake the transition towards usage of the modern material techniques more fluent and easier across the mods. These are just my two cents on the matter. I'm happy enough that the matter of the environmental effect has been looked into, at all.
As it is not part of vanilla Morrowind it will be up to the devs to decide if it should be added, but in my opinion it should be avoided to make the existing fake-bump-mapping mods (which will probably be deprecated soon, anyway because of MGE XE PBR) compatible with OpenMW. The normal maps already exist in these mods and so it should be easily possible to make them work correctly with OpenMW without having to use the edited meshes. It should be clear that the real normal mapping of OpenMW is the better and easier way so people should not even be tempted to use this old stuff with it. And modders should be encouraged to update the old fake bump-mapping mods to work with MGE XE PBR and OpenMW normal mapping. Hopefully, both will be identical at some point in the future.
Orven

Post by Orven »

Hi there!
I have that problem, that I had heavely modded my Morrowind before discovering OpenMW. It includes some of those false bump mapped ones. I don't wan't to install game from the scratch again. Is there anyway to make those look somehow acceptable at least (OpenMW v. 0.40)? I hate this glassy, shiny effect.

PS. Sorry for bad english.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

Orven wrote:Hi there!
I have that problem, that I had heavely modded my Morrowind before discovering OpenMW. It includes some of those false bump mapped ones. I don't wan't to install game from the scratch again. Is there anyway to make those look somehow acceptable at least (OpenMW v. 0.40)? I hate this glassy, shiny effect.

PS. Sorry for bad english.
No, and the reason for that is just that they use a fake bump mapping effect in Morrowind which is only possible with the Morrowind Code Patch and not in vanilla Morrowind. Since OpenMW already supports real normal maps there is no reason to make it compatible with this MCP function. The fake MCP bump mapping requires editing the meshes while OpenMW doesn't, and has several other downsides. Updating mods that use it to work correctly with OpenMW may require some work, but it should be worth it because OpenMW's real normal mapping should usually look much better. The question is whether the authors of such mods will be willing to make OpenMW compatible versions once it has become a real alternative to vanilla Morrowind in terms of modding. Or at least if someone is able to get permission from them to do it for them.

Maybe someone should write a tutorial about how to make these mods compatible with OpenMW, so that everybody can do it if he wants. The included normal maps should be usable with it, after all. One problem could be that the MCP bump mapping technique tends to lighten the textures up so when used with real normal mapping they may appear darker.

The least required steps would be to delete the edited meshes from these mods and make sure the normal maps are named like the base texture with _n attached to it. See here how to enable normal map support in OpenMW: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... omatic_use
lysol

Post by lysol »

Pherim wrote: Maybe someone should write a tutorial about how to make these mods compatible with OpenMW, so that everybody can do it if he wants. The included normal maps should be usable with it, after all. One problem could be that the MCP bump mapping technique tends to lighten the textures up so when used with real normal mapping they may appear darker.
I just started wondering why I haven't made such a tutorial already. I have explained this to so many people, writing it all over again every time.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

That would be great!

Also, a short term solution may be to replace the reflection textures from these mods with blank ones, which should completely disable the effect. Like the one from this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44373/?
Orven

Post by Orven »

Yes, such tutorial would be nice. :)

I perfectly understand, that OpenMW team is not interested in making the engine compatible with such mods, hovewer there is realy pleanty of them. Same time, many are not that "new", and in many cases authors may even won't support it "normal" edition, not to mention some special edition for OpenMW - so such tutorial would be very beneficial. :)

Best wishes!
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

four_types.png
Speaking of the bump maps, can please any team member confirm which type of them OpenMW OSG engine uses, as seen on this image, four types from left to right.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

"Common" one. Not that I'm a contributor and stuff, though.
By the way, there is no "centralized" team, as the project is worked on by volunteers.
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

So, we can't name a group of people working on the same goal a "team"?) If you are not a direct contributor, why so sure about the type of bump map? :) I would prefer one of the coders to confirm, if they happen to check this page in a bit of time.
p.s. I've been following this project since 2011, just saying (if its not that obvious from the date of my registration here, just not very fond of speaking, you know ;) )