Openmw performance and testing so far

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
xander2077

Re: Openmw performance and testing so far

Post by xander2077 »

listen, psi, i dont mean to take it out on you, im just frustrated with the inconsistencies. the kernel build in both systems is pretty much the same, but it has different file managers, and a slightly different system file structure. and sometimes one tweak, wont work on another, even though they both are based off of the same kernel as ubuntu.

but the frustration extends past the workarounds and into hunting down a solution in other places too. even on ask ubuntu, the guys there either dont really listen most of the time, or they offer a fix for an entirely different problem than what the person asking for help needs.

i have no idea why adding extra directories doesnt work in either openmw nor does it work in nifskope, but i think you are right, it has something to do with this build of mint. until i figure that out, i will probably run into the same problem over and over.

anyway, im past that now, and im just trying to get blender to work with niftools so i can do more than change textures on a model i dont really like, and get down to building them and texturing them properly, or even better, being able to import models i do like so i can modify them and unwrap them better than the original morrowind models were unwrapped. then maybe i can do some texturing worth the trouble.

but it looks like after running this test on this flavor of mint, i will have to start over and pick something else that wont restrict what i want to do. i hate to say it, but i may have to fix the old desktop and just install xp so i can keep using windows software without as many headaches. luckily the computer was designed for xp.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

:) No worries. No one is stopping you from applying for a linux admin job, there are more than enough openings around here as it is and I don't want any part of it! :P I'm a software "engineer", so I do a lot of research, design and implementation of theory that eventually is turned into software... which relies on a lot of assumptions. Many of these assumptions are made on how well you know the theory and what kind of experience (how it works in practice) you have.

Here for example, I can only really answer questions to things I "think" I know. ;) I assume you're bright enough to do your own research and you're here asking for help for a reason.

If WindowsXP is the only way for you to get work done, there is nothing wrong with that. Right tool for the right job. To be honest, Blender and NIF support is fairly shit, combine that with trying to get it running a system where it originally wasn't developed for, makes things super frustrating.

The extent of my use of Blender 2.49 with the python2 NIF scripts (using Wine on Ubuntu) has been to make and modify basic NIFs that use external textures for the example-suite. It was long and frustrating because I don't know much about how to use Blender at all. I used NIF scope to look up things, again I never paid attention to if it rendered a texture or not. My final test was to see if it worked in OpenMW.

Thankfully you're free to work with Blender 2.70 natively (win, lin or osx) and then convert to the OSG native format for statics. Animation is coming along too, but it will take time. This will in the long run totally negate the need for NIF (and nifskope) and other tools.

I hope that at least gets your hopes up!
xander2077

Post by xander2077 »

no, i dont want a linux admin job. back when i was shooting for MCSE and could not get my foot in the door, the only jobs available were coding xml, and linux systems admin, now im not going to knock that, i think it would have applied especially xml here in modding, but i was not interested in that at the time when i had already spent too much time and money on a going nowhere certification and decided i need to get back to work. a lot of that i was self taught before i ever decided to take a class. but i can sure build a cheap desktop that will outrun anything at best buy. and i chose linux because it is usually lighter than windows which is getting to be more and more user unfriendly for someone like me who wants to tweak their system (at least when i was trying to tolerate 7 and 8) but they do make it fairly easy to use for people who dont need to do that, i just dont like having to take my rig into the shop for software when i can do it myself. 10 is definitely designed to hide system settings so even the computer savvy get frustrated with the new UI. heck, just playing around with windows 10 at a walmart computer on display made me not want to install it, could not even find the system specs without going through 20 hoops and even then it doesn't tell the HD capacity like it used to. now granted it does fit into the rules of software design, to make things usable so people dont have to think, just click or repeat certain behaviors, but it doesn't allow more savvy users the freedom they want.

but i digress.

as far as blender and nifs go, i got as far as cloning the git, but i had to find my own workaround, and then help and support had to explain to me how to use the help pages ui because it is not obvious, it is almost hidden until you click on one of the operating system links. course if they had a tutorial on how to navigate their site before getting into instructions, then it would not be as frustrating, but what do i know. anyway, it still doesnt work. i get as far as trying to run

~/workspace $ sudo python3 distribute_setup.py
File "distribute_setup.py", line 1
<html data-adblockkey="MFwwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEBBQADSwAwSAJBAMLl0RJYcDS0N2xIgi01rOAcEtvCUTUq+IuNz5PA8eXYsfPLRkgnNehO+NbOZAlLoQnSpB5rXuRxRCTF+T1iU9sCAwEAAQ==_P4HKPfdlPs17DithlJNHihq0Dz+vwaOHi8IvbGikPR0Zx4M+ILMSG5fjT0XxW0Lghu5V/t6mAxnFsk1CJbqRVg==" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

and when i try to do the following

~/workspace $ sudo python3 get-pip.py
You're using an outdated location for the get-pip.py script, please use the one available from https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py

now i got pip to run no problem because i found a workaround to install the latest one so it doesn't complain about the wrong version any more, but i guess for some reason distribute_setup.py is corrupted or broken (same with get-pip.py), and they have people downloading broken python scripts that are not compatible with the plugin they want to install or the new coding in python3. so for now i am stuck until someone decides to let the beans out of the can and explain how to go from here.
Eli2

Post by Eli2 »

I have been looking at the develop branch of the blender nif plugin for the last two days.
I can tell you it is not ready for use and it makes no sense to use it if you want to get any work done.
You have to use the version for blender 2.49.
xander2077

Post by xander2077 »

Eli2 wrote:I have been looking at the develop branch of the blender nif plugin for the last two days.
I can tell you it is not ready for use and it makes no sense to use it if you want to get any work done.
You have to use the version for blender 2.49.
ok i have the deb file for that and that would mean uninstalling the current build and installing the deb of 2.49...

so how do i install the plugin for blender under 2.49?

sure it is kind of a pain after all the days i spent banging my head only to find a broken py script, but at least the one you mentioned will work.

EDIT: ok, got it, now i have a blender version that imports and exports nifs. on to installing max in case i dont like the way blender works. max is easier to work in, but blender unwraps more logically. so i kinda need both.
Antsan

Post by Antsan »

You can also keep your Blender installation in your home directory. That's what I do with non-distribution programs. This way they don't conflict with anything in the package manager.
Add `~/.local/bin/:" to the front of your path and put your binaries into that directory, if you want to.
xander2077

Post by xander2077 »

Antsan wrote:You can also keep your Blender installation in your home directory. That's what I do with non-distribution programs. This way they don't conflict with anything in the package manager.
Add `~/.local/bin/:" to the front of your path and put your binaries into that directory, if you want to.
so i cut and paste the whole thing to another directory? how would my launcher for it work then? do i have to create another link to it? or just modify the one i already have to point to the new path? my version of mint is a bit trickier than i like, it doesn't make it easy to tweak the menu the way i want it.

for now i just unchecked the blender updates so i doesn't screw up my ability to import nifs to blender.
Antsan

Post by Antsan »

You'd make a new launcher for it. I either start these kinds of programs from the folder they're in or, if I use them often, add a launcher to the panel containing all the launchers I use regularly. The menu in XFCE unfortunately also is absurdly difficult to manipulate.

You'd download a binary package (a .tar.gz or .zip or whatever they're offering, not a .deb) and unpack that in your home folder. It should work right out of the box like that.
xander2077

Post by xander2077 »

well, i am familiar with both, but my results are mixed with tar.gz files. sometimes they are complete, but many times they are incomplete and the installation fails for some reason. even when using sudo. so thats why if i can find a deb package i use that or convert it to deb with alien. seems to take all the guess work out of it. lately i cant even extract a tar.gz in the terminal without errors and using the archive manager works instead. its a weird linux world.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Cramal wrote:- add "player->" before the command
Come and think of it... is this some kind of OOP thing? Like... is the player an instance of a character class, and all characters have an "additem" method or something?