Benchmarks / Hardware Specs

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
SquireNed

Re: Benchmarks

Post by SquireNed »

Greendogo wrote:"Compute Core" is the name AMD gives to its cores/threads (I think). Nvidia is the big player in the Neural Network space right now and they're absolutely dominating (mostly because of the quality of their chips and their ample support of research and development). Nvidia calls their cores "cuda cores" and their 10 series, specifically the 1080 and probably the new Pascal Titan being announced in August have >3000 of them. They're blazingly fast. Another important attribute for neural networks is the size of the RAM on the cards. More memory means bigger models can be trained (more classes more details taken into account, etc).
Ah, I just think of CUDA cores as compute cores (since they essentially do what the OpenCL cores do, just with the CUDA framework instead [or in addition? I'm unfamiliar with the differences/similarities between the technologies]).

I just looked at the 10-series specs: they have fewer cores than the really high-end of the previous series, but they make up for it by running them much faster.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

The "really high-end" of the last series was the Titan X. Nvidia's going to announce/release the next Titan for the 10 series in August; can't wait!
JackPot

Post by JackPot »

"Nvidia's going to announce/release the next Titan for the 10 series in August;" can't afford! :(
JackPot

Post by JackPot »

And there she is: 3584 core, 12GB Ram @ 480 GB/s - 11 TFLOPS single precision: 1200 US$ only.
Should be good enough to handle OpenMW.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Oooh, even before August, nice!

Well, if anyone wants me to benchmark the GTX 1080 on Ubuntu 16.04, let me know!
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Greendogo wrote:Oooh, even before August, nice!

Well, if anyone wants me to benchmark the GTX 1080 on Ubuntu 16.04, let me know!
Do iiit!
Tels

Post by Tels »

JackPot wrote:And there she is: 3584 core, 12GB Ram @ 480 GB/s - 11 TFLOPS single precision: 1200 US$ only.
Should be good enough to handle OpenMW.
But it probably can't handle Crysis... I kid, I kid! :D
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

SquireNed wrote:

Do iiit!
Did it!
It was fine, all settings maxed out with only a little less than 30FPS all the time regardless of location. Generally it was a lot higher than 30FPS. OpenMW lacks good benchmarking logging, so I don't have any good data to show (and this was like a week ago anyway).

GTX 1080's are awesome! Everyone should get one!
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Wanna pay for one for me, then? :P
Svetomech

Post by Svetomech »

Greendogo wrote:
SquireNed wrote:

Do iiit!
Did it!
It was fine, all settings maxed out with only a little less than 30FPS all the time regardless of location. Generally it was a lot higher than 30FPS. OpenMW lacks good benchmarking logging, so I don't have any good data to show (and this was like a week ago anyway).

GTX 1080's are awesome! Everyone should get one!
A little less than 30FPS with GTX 1080?! One wold think constant 60FPS with Vsync enabled are in order.

UPD: I never tested OpenMW on my more powerful machine, but your post just made me do it. And, as expected, I got constant 60 FPS no matter the location with all in-game settings maxed out (no editing of config files - is that what you did?). My specs below (nevermind the language, they are still understandable).
Spoiler: Show