Benchmarks / Hardware Specs

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
mkborregaard

Re: Benchmarks

Post by mkborregaard »

Azlidor wrote:I'm currently running 0.38 and these are my specs:

Intel G3258 3.2GHz Dual Core
8GB DDR3 Ram
AMD R9 270X 4GB
Windows 10 Pro
SSD

Game Settings
Resolution 1920x1080
Texture Filtering=Trilinear
Anisotropy=16x
View Distance=Far
Water Shader=On
Refraction=On
Texture Quality=High

I was able to get an average of
70 FPS walking around Balmora (exteriors)
390 FPS walking around Balmora (interiors)

Very promising considering my PC is definitely not very powerful, yet got significantly better performance with OpenMW. I'm looking forward to the shaders getting added into OSG. Hopefully this information is beneficial for you all and let me know if I missed any information you'd need!

That is interesting. On 0.39 I have:

Intel i3 2120 3.3GHz
8GB DDR3 Ram
Nvidia GT 730 2GB DDR3
Ubuntu 16.04
Hard drive

Game Settings
Resolution 1680x1050
Texture Filtering=Trilinear
Anisotropy=8x
View Distance=Far
Water Shader=On
Refraction=On
Texture Quality=High

And I get
20 FPS walking around Balmora (exteriors)
30 FPS walking around Balmora (interiors)

I wonder if this much of a difference is only due to my GPU being less powerful?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Perhaps. But 30 fps in interiors is, say the least, unnatural. I have 20 to 40 FPS in Balmora and stable 60 FPS in interiors with entry-level GeForce 610M card on maximal possible "settings", save extending view distance beyond slider and loading more cells. :?
mkborregaard

Post by mkborregaard »

That is strange, then, my 730 should be slightly more powerful than that. Maybe there is hope for some kind of software solution for my low fps, then. I thought it might be the weak i3 processor, as I think I have read that openMW is often processor limited?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

mkborregaard wrote:I thought it might be the weak i3 processor, as I think I have read that openMW is often processor limited?
Press F3 (multiple times) to get more detailed information about where OpenMW is struggling.

My hunch is that your i3 is hanging up on all the physics based code.

My hope is that if we go with bullet3, we can offload a lot of physics to the GPU if it has time to spare. The chances are high that your GPU isn't being taxed very much is mostly idle. ;)
mkborregaard

Post by mkborregaard »

Yes I think that could be true, as changing the graphics settings does not seem to affect the fps a lot. I will try the F3 several times trick once I get home (I am travelling this week), and check it out.
It is good to hear that there may be improvements on the way, especially as I would be keen to experiment with some modding as well!
GreyFox

Post by GreyFox »

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
8GB DDR3 Ram
Intel graphic chip(onboard)
SSD
Ubuntu 14.04

1920x1031
Bilinear Filtering
4xAnisotrpic Filter
View Distance=Far
Water Shader = false

mods:
MW Rebirth
Better Bodies
Better Heads
Magic Diversity
MW comes Alive
Lysol's Vivec Normal Mapped for OpenMW
Mastering Magicka

I get more or less stable 40-50 fps walking around Balmora, which is surprising considering I have basically no GPU
mkborregaard

Post by mkborregaard »

psi29a wrote:
mkborregaard wrote:I thought it might be the weak i3 processor, as I think I have read that openMW is often processor limited?
Press F3 (multiple times) to get more detailed information about where OpenMW is struggling.

My hunch is that your i3 is hanging up on all the physics based code.

My hope is that if we go with bullet3, we can offload a lot of physics to the GPU if it has time to spare. The chances are high that your GPU isn't being taxed very much is mostly idle. ;)
Hi, I am back now and tried this, an unfortunately it seems to be my graphics card that is not good enough. Here are the stats (in Balmora, settings as before, view distance about 2/3):
FPS 22
Script 0.19
Mechanics 0.99
Physics 5
Event 0.01
Update 1.7
Cull 4.5
Draw 8
GPU 34
mkborregaard

Post by mkborregaard »

Hard to understand why my stats seem so much lower than Grey Fox'. The only mod I have is magic diversity. Turning the water shader off gives me another ~5 FPS and reduces GPU to about 27.
GreyFox

Post by GreyFox »

mkborregaard wrote:Hard to understand why my stats seem so much lower than Grey Fox'. The only mod I have is magic diversity. Turning the water shader off gives me another ~5 FPS and reduces GPU to about 27.
Do you have other operating systems installations for comparison? I don't think its that, but you never know.

Just a thought, and I do not even know if thats possible: A script which takes the player through a designated path and records the FPS data might be good for comparison.
mkborregaard

Post by mkborregaard »

I don't have other OS's on the machine, unfortunately. It does sound unlikely that this is causing trouble, though, right?