OSG on steroids

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Chris

Re: OSG on steroids

Post by Chris »

scrawl wrote:On topic: Found out that most of the time in osg::computeLocalToWorld and osg::computeWorldToLocal (used a lot in our skinning and particle system code) is spent in dynamic_cast's.
I've read that it's generally bad to use RTTI for performance-minded games. Particularly dynamic_cast because not only does it need to look up the object's real type, it needs to compare it against all possible downcasts to see if the requested type is valid. I don't know how possible it would be to try compiling with -fno-rtti at this juncture, though.
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

This means that the Debian version won't get this patch, right?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

ap0 wrote:This means that the Debian version won't get this patch, right?
Only if we can convince them that the improvements are a good thing. However, they will likely not want to carry patches that aren't planned on going upstream, rejected by upstream or do not have anything to do with the stability of the software on Debian.
asmo

Post by asmo »

Maybe something that has to do with stability can be bundled w/ the other improvements … intrinsically tied of course. ;)
mym
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/mym34

Post by mym »

Hi scrawl,

I compiled your OSG repo (master) following your cmake options and when compiling openmw I get that:
Spoiler: Show
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Most likely some OpenMW object files didn't get recompiled although they should. Do a clean rebuild (make clean).

Or the OSG header files used don't match the used library files. Open cmake-gui to check if headers and libs were found correctly. Check OpenMW and OSG are both built in release mode. (In RelWithDebInfo and Debug modes, osg library files get a "d" or "rd" suffix which may prevent the cmake script from finding the libs if OpenMW wasn't set to the same build type).
mym
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/mym34

Post by mym »

Oops, indeed you were right. A make clean did the thing. Thank you very much.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Pushed two more osg commits, one of which has been proposed upstream. More frames \o/

I've started profiling the OpenMW game logic. Two resulting optimization commits are in master and three more as pull requests. In total with all patches applied, Balmora improved from 290 FPS to 310 FPS. I'm happy with that for an evening's work.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Wowow! Great job! Really happy that we are at the point where we can start optimizing, and really glad you're making some headway with it! Thanks for all of your hard work scrawl!
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

d
Last edited by sandstranger on 18 Jan 2018, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.