Game Creation

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
HuntingU

Game Creation

Post by HuntingU »

Okay, so i've got a question. After Open MW is finished, and the Development Kit is finished and what not. Would you guys(the open mw team) mind if i gut out all of morrowind,(Every single texture, line of code, mesh, ect) and use the Dev Kit to create my own game from the ground up, in that editor? and export it as its own game?
Loriel

Re: Game Creation

Post by Loriel »

I believe that is the main long-term aim of the project - providing a game engine on which users can build their own game. Running Morrowind successfully on OpenMW is merely a short-term target, and removing all the Bethesda content is desirable to avoid licence restrictions.

See the "OpenMW Game Template" thread at viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3003 for a suitable starting point - removal of Bethesda content, and replacement with minimal content to create a functional game

Loriel
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I like your enthusiasm. Maybe you'll take an interest in the example suite?

viewforum.php?f=25

Right now there is work to be done in that area. Namely going to http://opengameart.org/content/openmw-s ... sibilities and converting some of the CC BY assets into nifs and .dds so we can make a nice minigame out of it.

If this task is done, we can start placing stuff on the island.esp immediately rather than starting the hunt/development for assets only after we can place stuff.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

HuntingU wrote:Okay, so i've got a question. After Open MW is finished, and the Development Kit is finished and what not. Would you guys(the open mw team) mind if i gut out all of morrowind,(Every single texture, line of code, mesh, ect) and use the Dev Kit to create my own game from the ground up, in that editor? and export it as its own game?
OpenMW is an engine that just so happens to read Morrowind's data files. It doesn't have any Morrowind stuff, so you're halfway there. ;)

If you want to make your own game using OpenMW, that's fantastic. We hope to see many different games made with this engine. If you happen to be the first, expect it to get some coverage.
johndh

Post by johndh »

DestinedToDie wrote:converting some of the CC BY assets into nifs and .dds so we can make a nice minigame out of it.
And CC0! ;)

Is CC-By-SA unacceptable? If so, I can prune the collection.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I am unsure about CC BY SA right now. The reason being is that you have to use the asset as it is and not modify. I suppose it's alright in theory if you never intend to touch it. Is it okay to convert a CC BY SA file into another format?

And yeah, CC0 is good.
johndh

Post by johndh »

DestinedToDie wrote:I am unsure about CC BY SA right now. The reason being is that you have to use the asset as it is and not modify.
No no no no no. That's ND (no derivatives) you're thinking of. All assets on OpenGameArt.org are free to use and modify, for both commercial and non-commercial uses, but some have additional copyleft terms. The additional condition with SA is share-alike, meaning that you can't put additional restrictions on your modifications of that asset. You can modify it all you like; the modified/derivative work just has to be licensed as CC-BY-SA as well.

The only licenses on OGA I know of to be potentially problematic in general are the GPL licenses, as they don't play well with others. I have intentionally excluded any assets that are licensed solely under the GPL.
Attribution-ShareAlike
CC BY-SA

This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work even for commercial purposes, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Hey johnD. The teleporter circle http://opengameart.org/content/teleporter-circle is 2D and not really usable for a 3D game. You could in theory use it as a texture, but its design is tilted for 2D.

Dungeon stairs has the exact same problem. http://opengameart.org/content/dungeon-stairs As well as some others. Are there some plans to make a 2D game?

Also I'm amazed you actually found something Blender 2.49. http://opengameart.org/content/adventur ... t-low-poly It sounds like all you need to do is fill out the anim text file and you have a creature ready.
freem

Post by freem »

This 2D isometric stuff was made for flare-rpg, if I am not wrong.
And I think they made several of their 2D graphism from 3D models built with blender (characters, for example). Maybe those were built with blender and their authors still have the original "source" files?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Actually my bad for not investigating further. It appears the 3D version Blender file is included, except it lacks texturing. The UV-map is not done, but there are textures in the zip that can be used to give it the proper look in 3D.

So to conclude, nvm. This can be used, although not out-of-the-box.