What are the start scripts to start a game?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
TheInternet

What are the start scripts to start a game?

Post by TheInternet »

So when the game loads Morrowind.ESM, what is it looking for to tell it to put you on the prison ship? What's the code?

If you were making a a total conversion, is it a pretty simple process to create a loadable ESM?
Tinker

Re: What are the start scripts to start a game?

Post by Tinker »

The process of making a new game, a TC, is fairly simple.

In OpenMW-CS select new game, give it a title and a new game is made as a .omwgame which is the OpenMW replacement for .esm.

All you need to do then is add all the assets you need for the game, currently only the hard coded things like abilities and skills are in the game and you will need to add descriptions etc. and setup the relationships. You will need to provide all models, texture, dialogues, scripts etc. Ideally there should be no Bethesda assets in the game unless you want people to own Morrowind to play your game, you cannot distribute Bethesda's assets with your game.

Starting position is set by adding the PC to the cell you want them in, then the chargen process is started, look at the CharGen scripts to see how it is done.
TheInternet

Post by TheInternet »

Thanks, I assume in Morrowind the right one is "CharGenBoatNPC"?
TheInternet

Post by TheInternet »

Okay so I'm trying to load morrowind.esm with my tesannywn.esp file ticked... this seems to be the only way from the launcher... but it just loads the normal game? What am I missing?
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

TheInternet wrote:Thanks, I assume in Morrowind the right one is "CharGenBoatNPC"?
That is the script for the guard on the deck of the boat, the first script that runs is CharGenNameNPC
Okay so I'm trying to load morrowind.esm with my tesannywn.esp file ticked... this seems to be the only way from the launcher... but it just loads the normal game? What am I missing?
It would help to know exactly what you are trying to achieve. Are you using the game launcher or the editor? I have no idea what your tesannywn.esp file is.

The editor gives you three choices to start it,
  1. create a new game (omwgame like an esm)
  2. create a new omwaddon (like an esp) for which you must specify a game to add to or
  3. edit an existing omwaddon for which you need to specify a game and an addon (can be loaded as omwgame/esm and omwaddon/esp)
TheInternet

Post by TheInternet »

Tinker wrote:
TheInternet wrote:Thanks, I assume in Morrowind the right one is "CharGenBoatNPC"?
That is the script for the guard on the deck of the boat, the first script that runs is CharGenNameNPC
It would help to know exactly what you are trying to achieve. Are you using the game launcher or the editor? I have no idea what your tesannywn.esp file is.

The editor gives you three choices to start it,
  1. create a new game (omwgame like an esm)
  2. create a new omwaddon (like an esp) for which you must specify a game to add to or
  3. edit an existing omwaddon for which you need to specify a game and an addon (can be loaded as omwgame/esm and omwaddon/esp)
Sorry, I should have been more clear. tesannywn.esp is basically the Nehrim (elder scrolls 4 total conversion) landscape. tesannywn is a tool that produces a heightmap of the landscape, and I then used the heightmap to generate this esp file. File works in original morrowind CS. If I open the file in OpenMW-CS it produced an omwaddon, i don't suppose I can convert to omwgame? I have tried using Morrowind Enchanted Editor to change it to a master ESM and load that but it still treats it as an addon.

Sorry if my posts aren't making sense. I got 2 hours sleep last night and have problems with depression and anxiety so my head is up my chute and I have brain fog.

Regards

EDIT: oh okay, it is actually loading the ESM version as an omwgame. my mistake.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

OK it seems you are good to go, do not forget though that OpenMW-CS is still a work in progress, vastly improved recently but still can cause problems.
TheInternet

Post by TheInternet »

Thanks. I'm getting this error:

ESM Error: Missing NPDT subrecord

File: *location to file*

Record: NPC_
Subrecord: FLAG
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

According uesp -

NPDT
Bytes 0-1: Base disposition
Bytes 2-3: Flag? values: {0,2,4,8,10,14}
Bytes 4-8: Index number

There is more information on our wiki https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=NPC

Presumably you need to have all the entries filled in to create the record, or you may have found something not yet implemented or a bug. There are no npdt bugs listed on the tracker and everything seems implemented in OpenMW but saving in OpenMW-CS may be missing.