Still issues with stealing.

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Rayniac

Still issues with stealing.

Post by Rayniac »

Since I for some reason can't login to bugs.openmw.org (tells me to activate my account even though it already supposed to be) I'll post this here.

It seems that NPCs can't react to what you steal when you have your menu open. I guess it has something to do with how the game is "paused" while you do that. It's pretty hilarious how they just let you take everything that's not nailed down :D

They will notice if you steal from containers though.

But wait, there's more! Taking items with the menu open also seems to erase all ownership from items?? (the guard at the Cencus and Excise office will never take those items if you steal something after in a way they notice).
Azlidor

Re: Still issues with stealing.

Post by Azlidor »

I haven't noticed this. I'll test it tomorrow when I wake up. Which version of OMW are you using?
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Several issues with things not working as expected when menus are pinned open were fixed recently and should be in 0.36, or check the nightly builds.
Rayniac

Post by Rayniac »

Azlidor wrote:I haven't noticed this. I'll test it tomorrow when I wake up. Which version of OMW are you using?
Tinker wrote:Several issues with things not working as expected when menus are pinned open were fixed recently and should be in 0.36, or check the nightly builds.
That's fantastic! :D
dteviot

Post by dteviot »

@Rayniac
Rayniac wrote:It seems that NPCs can't react to what you steal when you have your menu open. I guess it has something to do with how the game is "paused" while you do that. It's pretty hilarious how they just let you take everything that's not nailed down :D

But wait, there's more! Taking items with the menu open also seems to erase all ownership from items?? (the guard at the Cencus and Excise office will never take those items if you steal something after in a way they notice).
With 0.36, I've been unable to reproduce this problem with the inventory, stats and spells windows pinned open in both Arile's tavern and the customs office.
Can you confirm you are unable to reproduce with 0.36, or give me more exact details on how to reproduce please. Ideally, with a save file just before you attempt the theft.

Thanks.
matthewfarmery

Post by matthewfarmery »

I don't pin my windows, just right clicking to open all the windows at once and drop items in my inventory, using the windows RC from Ace's links. so I can confirm that stealing has some issues with the windows open, (but not pinned)
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

matthewfarmery wrote:I don't pin my windows, just right clicking to open all the windows at once and drop items in my inventory, using the windows RC from Ace's links. so I can confirm that stealing has some issues with the windows open, (but not pinned)
Pretty sure that's intended behavior. As in, vanilla Morrowind behaves like this (whether is should or not is another topic) so OpenMW should behave as such, at least for 1.0
Chris

Post by Chris »

Mistahtokyo wrote:Pretty sure that's intended behavior. As in, vanilla Morrowind behaves like this
I don't believe it is. In vanilla, a popular starting exploit is to grab the platter in the census office, then quickly open your inventory and drop it before the guard gets you so he doesn't take it (then after he scolds you, pick it back up when it's no longer marked as owned). If you could just grab it while the inventory is open to avoid the crime altogether, that wouldn't be necessary.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

It seems that NPCs can't react to what you steal when you have your menu open. I guess it has something to do with how the game is "paused" while you do that. It's pretty hilarious how they just let you take everything that's not nailed down :D

They will notice if you steal from containers though.
That was working before, I think it broke in the 0.35.1 release. Fixed.
dteviot

Post by dteviot »

matthewfarmery wrote:I don't pin my windows, just right clicking to open all the windows at once and drop items in my inventory, using the windows RC from Ace's links. so I can confirm that stealing has some issues with the windows open, (but not pinned)
Huh.
I did not know you could do that.
I've raised a bug for it https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/2521
And submitted a PR that should fix it. https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/564

Thanks for your help.