TrueType font for OpenMW

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Markelius

Re: TrueType font for OpenMW

Post by Markelius »

Isaskar wrote:
psi29a wrote:We don't need it anymore, because we can use the bitmap fonts in Morrowind itself. This is likely why people have vanished, because the need is no longer there.
The latest attempt began in July 2014, long after support for the original fonts were added. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2292
https://openmw.org/2014/script/).
Heya, I was the one working on OpenMagicka. I mostly let it slip out of my focus because I was busy with other things. A font is a lot of work. At some point I would like to finish my font, but over the past while I haven't had the time or interest to do so.

As far as I know, (Isaskar aside) GeorgeD was the only one working on a suitable ttf replacement for Magic Cards. Both him and I do have progress to show for our attempts, screenshots of a lot of my work can be found on my modding blog.

If you are planning on replacing Magic Cards, and are serious about it, I reccomend downloading the image rips of the game's original bitmap font and recreating all the characters from it first. That way you'll have full compatibility with *most* languages the game is played in. Cyrillic is a secondary thing, though still important, as a lot of people play using Cyrillic alphabets.

Regardless, good luck.
Isaskar

Post by Isaskar »

Markelius wrote:
Isaskar wrote:
psi29a wrote:We don't need it anymore, because we can use the bitmap fonts in Morrowind itself. This is likely why people have vanished, because the need is no longer there.
The latest attempt began in July 2014, long after support for the original fonts were added. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2292
https://openmw.org/2014/script/).
Heya, I was the one working on OpenMagicka. I mostly let it slip out of my focus because I was busy with other things. A font is a lot of work. At some point I would like to finish my font, but over the past while I haven't had the time or interest to do so.

As far as I know, (Isaskar aside) GeorgeD was the only one working on a suitable ttf replacement for Magic Cards. Both him and I do have progress to show for our attempts, screenshots of a lot of my work can be found on my modding blog.

If you are planning on replacing Magic Cards, and are serious about it, I reccomend downloading the image rips of the game's original bitmap font and recreating all the characters from it first. That way you'll have full compatibility with *most* languages the game is played in. Cyrillic is a secondary thing, though still important, as a lot of people play using Cyrillic alphabets.

Regardless, good luck.
Hey, nice to see you're still around. I've already got the bitmaps for the standard English version, but would you happen to know where I can find the Polish and Russian versions? My Google skills are failing me, and the --export-fonts option doesn't work for me anymore for some reason.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Great work... I guess you already have artistic talent, I have problems believing you started totally from zero... :shock:

Once finished the alphabet (possibly with diacritics) do you plan to add other font features like ligatures, small caps, or old style numbers?
Isaskar

Post by Isaskar »

From my research there appears to be three different bitmap fonts used by various translated versions, Standard Latin, Polish and Russian. There's possibly a separate French version as well. I haven't managed to find these on the internet, and I only have the English version myself. Plus for some reason I can't --export-fonts anymore, so If anyone can give me png files that would be much appreciated.
ezze wrote:Great work... I guess you already have artistic talent, I have problems believing you started totally from zero... :shock:

Once finished the alphabet (possibly with diacritics) do you plan to add other font features like ligatures, small caps, or old style numbers?
I plan to make only what is required to play Morrowind in all its official languages. The issue is that I actually don't have any artistic talent, but I can still imitate. If I have to start creating my own stuff though... :?

However if someone else wants to add stuff to the font after I'm done, I'm okay with that. That's the point of an Open Source license.
sjek

Post by sjek »

If you are on windows it's probaply is

export-fonts=1
Without the -- mark

Others from there or bethsoft forum guys .p
Isaskar

Post by Isaskar »

sjek wrote:If you are on windows it's probaply is

export-fonts=1
Without the -- mark

Others from there or bethsoft forum guys .p
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, and it still didn't work. 'openmw --help' worked while 'openmw help' didn't, so I don't think that's the problem.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Code: Select all

./openmw --export-fonts
Works for me. Is the working directory you are running OpenMW from write-protected by any chance?
Isaskar

Post by Isaskar »

scrawl wrote:

Code: Select all

./openmw --export-fonts
Works for me. Is the working directory you are running OpenMW from write-protected by any chance?
OpenMW is installed to Program Files, but my Data Files directory is on a separate hard drive that isn't write-protected. I just tried using the administrator command prompt instead, still doesn't work.

EDIT: If it works for you, maybe you could send me the fonts instead?
Isaskar

Post by Isaskar »

I've reached quite a milestone today. I've got my first playable prototype! It should contain all characters necessary to play Morrowind in all official languages except Polish and Russian.

It took a lot to get to this point, beyond just drawing the letters. It seems that OpenMW's (MyGUI's?) font renderer renders the fonts much thinner than the software I used to test. So i ran FontForge's built in "Change Weight" feature. It worked, but it absolutely destroyed my font from a creator's perspective, adding tons of unnessecary points to almost all characters. Yet that is the version I'm releasing today.

It should be noted that this version is unfinished, I'm only releasing it because I hope that some of you will test it and report issues to me. If a letter looks strange or is hard to read, please tell me. I'd especially like feedback on the diacritics, so if any of you have the French version I encourage you to test it.

The numbers in the original font looked like they were ripped straight from Times New Roman, so I tried to change them a bit to make them fit better, but I fear i just made them uglier. So please tell me what you think.

Accented characters are tricky. The current version has accents that extend beyond the boundaries of the font. OpenMW has no problem with that, but most word processors do. I tried squishing them to make them fit, which looked ugly and hard to read, and making the letters smaller, which made the entire font way too small.

TL;DR: Extract zip to OpenMW/mygui to install.
Attachments
Pelagiad.zip
(13.2 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Looks very good in game and in Libreoffice. I thinkI will use it a lot.