Can I use the assets from the XBox 360 version?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Can I use the assets from the XBox 360 version?

Post by psi29a »

Conversation is still ongoing, however in accordance with our previous agreement, platform specific Morrowind should stay on its own platform. So PC Morrowind on the PC (win/linux/osx) and the Xbox Morrowind on the Xbox (and 360), and no other platform. By Morrowind, they mean the assets.

What is currently not clear is if their legal team would be OK if the Xbox (not-PC) version of Morrowind was played with OpenMW on the Xbox or Xbox 360.

This however isn't a target platform, like Android.

The FAQ should be updated:
Q: Can I use the assets from the XBox or XBox 360 version of Morrowind with OpenMW?

A: Short answer: No.
Long answer: Bethesda has asked us not to mix platforms, that means no PC Morrowind on non-PC platforms, such as the XBox. This also means no XBox Morrowind on the PC or any other non-XBox platform, except for the XBox itself or the XBox360.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

psi29a wrote:
The FAQ should be updated:
Q: Can I use the assets from the XBox or XBox 360 version of Morrowind with OpenMW?

A: Short answer: No.
Long answer: Bethesda has asked us not to mix platforms, that means no PC Morrowind on non-PC platforms, such as the XBox. This also means no XBox Morrowind on the PC or any other non-XBox platform, except for the XBox itself or the XBox360.
Done
Zini

Post by Zini »

Had a discussion with psi29a about this topic via email and he asked me to post one of my statements here:
> However I do want to keep things open if someone wants to port OpenMW
> to the Xbox or Xbox360.

I just looked up the specs for these. Now I am no expert on console architecture (actually, I know very little about it), but from what I see it seems unlikely that someone can get OpenMW to work on these in a satisfying way (or at all in case of the original XBox).

In some areas OpenMW is more resources demanding than MW and always will be.
The only way I can see for this to happen would be to rip out large parts of OpenMW and then replace them with something more simple and more compact. Since that would make a mess out of our code base that would have to be done in a fork.

I am certainly not in favor of excluding platforms, but these don't make any sense IMO. This is after all a different situation from android. While most current android devices are unable to run OpenMW properly this problem will rectify itself as more powerful hardware becomes available.
On the other hand no one is going to build a more powerful XBox or XBox360. These are discontinued platforms without any chance of improvement.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I got a response back from Matt which echos the same thought as Zini on the issue:
Matt wrote:Thanks for the follow up. Here's the one loose end:
psi29a wrote:I'm talking about playing the Xbox Morrowind with OpenMW on the XBox and/or XBox 360. This, and only this, seems to fall inline with our earlier agreement. So the title itself is played on the its supported platform.
In theory it sounds very cool, but these aren't open platforms. Taking steps to make them open platforms isn't something Microsoft encourages (they ban accounts), so it not something I think giving a blessing to makes sense.
Cool idea in theory, but to have it go through Bethesda "legal" and then no one puts any effort into the OpenMW port to the XBox and XBox360 would be a waste.

I think we can safely lock this thread and FAQ it.