Alpha blending problem

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
sandstranger

Re: Alpha blending problem

Post by sandstranger »

daw
Last edited by sandstranger on 18 Jan 2018, 15:53, edited 10 times in total.
sylux102

Post by sylux102 »

But the Jedi Outcast and Quake and such doesn't come with anything. Its a direct port, using the same content as the official, the only thing is that it doesn't come with that content. The user must provide it. Why we couldn't do a "Morrowind Demo" sort of thing is beyond me.

Too bad openmw broke. Hopefully the issue can be resolved in short order. And your bricked device can be recovered (sometimes bricks can be recovered through a factory restore).

Also, the android port could be anonymously released by someone after compiling. Or released on somewhere other than the Goole Play Store. OpenMW team clearly doesn't support OpenMW Android. Why Bethesda is so upset about it idk. The game is so old that I'd be surprised to see if they make any sales of that game by itself. I understand the group sets, but idk. The games been to consoles, so mobiles shouldn't be to upsetting to a big company.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

sylux102 wrote:But the Jedi Outcast and Quake and such doesn't come with anything. Its a direct port, using the same content as the official, the only thing is that it doesn't come with that content. The user must provide it. Why we couldn't do a "Morrowind Demo" sort of thing is beyond me.
We would love to see more love going into the Android platform for OpenMW, we just can't use Bethesda's content to demo it officially. sandstranger is OpenMW's only fulltime developer for the Android, and keeps doing a great job. :)

what others can do is make screenshots, films, whatever... they can even post it here in the forums. We, OpenMW, just can't post it on the blog/front facing site and exclaim: "Look what we can do!"

That is the deal we struck with Bethesda, we will honour it.

So if someone takes OpenMW, and puts it on google play... they will be held liable to Bethesda/Zenimax. Not us, the OpenMW team.
sylux102

Post by sylux102 »

What about the app on Google play store Exagear RPG? It shows Fallout screenshots but has word over the screenshot that says:

"This screenshot is used to show Exagear RPG emulator functions and abilities only in a truthful and non deceptive way"

Could something like this be acceptable?

At any rate, I'm excited to see sandstanger continue his work. Really great job I must say. Keep it up man, you're doing great work. I'm going to see if I can build this to help rewrite the build instructions to be a bit more user friendly.
lysol

Post by lysol »

https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_Emails

Read these e-mails. As said, Bethesda could potentially give the OpenMW team a really really hard time. The wisest thing would IMO be to not stretch too far from what was agreed upon in those e-mails.
sylux102

Post by sylux102 »

Hmm. Still beats me why Bethesda is so butt hurt about it. But I'm going to shut up now, I'm kinda hijacking this thread. Sorry
lysol

Post by lysol »

sylux102 wrote:Hmm. Still beats me why Bethesda is so butt hurt about it. But I'm going to shut up now, I'm kinda hijacking this thread. Sorry
Haha, yes. But I feel your frustration. So I'll continue this off topic discussion for one last post. ;)

There could be numerous reasons for Bethesda's nervousness about this. Maybe they want to have the option to re-release morrowind for mobile platforms in the future? Talk about killing their business if some open source guys do that work for them. For free.

Another thing could just be as simple as licensing. I remember when Morroblivion was first released and super hyped many years ago. At that time, they had made some importer, that simply imported all the Morrowind stuff into Oblivion (no pun intended) which the guys making it thought would be cool with Bethesda since you needed both Morrowind and Oblivion to play. Wrong. Bethesda forced them to remove the importer from the internet. The reason was something about licensing, like, that Bethesda had some licensed stuff in Morrowind that they only were allowed to have in one of their games, no other. So when other people started taking those licensed things and put in other Bethesda-games, Bethesda got butt hurt about it. So, my point, is that maybe they have some other licensed stuff in Morrowind that they're only allowed to use on the PC platform.

Blah. This post became long and messy. Sorry. :)
onionland

Post by onionland »

sylux102 wrote:Hmm. Still beats me why Bethesda is so butt hurt about it. But I'm going to shut up now, I'm kinda hijacking this thread. Sorry
Bethesda really isn't butt-hurt about it, if they had been butt-hurt there would probably be no openmw team right now, or at least no android branch.
Matt has instead been very nice, and and was nice enough to listen to the team and calm down his legal department. Then, so to avoid future worries the openmw team and bethesda came to the agreement that openmw may continue their work on the engine, and more specifically the android branch, as long as they do not use morrowind assets to showcase its capabilities on non-desktop environments.
Technically we could do all those things you suggested, but that would mean entering a legal gray area, as well as dishonoring the agreement.

This is really the best sort of agreement that openmw could have hoped for, as it may likely deter potential future conflicts with the bethesda legal department, and the only thing that has to be done in exchange is to not showcase morrowind assets on mobile devices, or use it as a selling point.

It does annoy me slightly to see so many people being irritated at this restrictment, as I have seen many other derivative projects being shut down by corporate legal departments, not all being justified, a route that openmw could have followed.
raevol

Post by raevol »

What @onionland said, for sure.
sylux102

Post by sylux102 »

Its not that I'm irritated with it. Just confused as to the reasoning behind it. Basically the agreement means OpenMW can be ported to android in secret is what it seems. Can't be showcased, can't be publicly stated as a feature, actual morrowind content can't be shown. Even if Bethesda wanted to sell it as an official app, a price over $10 would be far too pricey for a 10 year old game. The more likely explanation is that they used proprietary software from other companies and if it was shown on mobile they'd have to pay money to the middleman that made the displayed content.

At any rate, Bethesda can do what they want. In the end, sandstranger is making darn good progress and his resume would certainly stand out to employers. Keep it up, I'll be attempting a build soon.