version 0.32 savegame problem with buggy mod

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Zini

Re: version 0.32 not working with "adv. herbalism" mod

Post by Zini »

Code: Select all

short ishere to 1
Does it never end? This is obviously nonsense. I suspect vanilla MW would just ignore this line. This plugin is broken badly and that it kinda works on vanilla MW is pure chance. I am not sure how to handle this situation. I guess we could figure out a workaround that would allow OpenMW to ignore this line. But at this point it would probably easier to just fix the plugin.

@scrawl I'll have a look at that.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zini wrote:I am not sure how to handle this situation.
Maybe the "best" fix would be for OpenMW to throw an error indicating that the script in the plugin is bad, and needs to be fixed? So then when OpenMW quits the user knows that the plugin is at fault?

Edit: I see that we are throwing an error indicating where the script is broken, but if it was more informative for the user, indicating which file, which plugin, etc. that might direct inquiries in the right direction?
Zini

Post by Zini »

We do not keep track of this information (with the exception of references). OpenMW merges all the content files into a single data storage.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Maybe a post-1.0 "enhancement" ? :p
Zini

Post by Zini »

Fix for the exception is in master. When adding local scripts, scripts that can not be added (for example because of problems with local variables) will be dropped (including an error message on cerr).

@raevol: Maybe. Not overly excited about the idea, because it require the record data structures with data of limited value.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zini wrote:@raevol: Maybe. Not overly excited about the idea, because it require the record data structures with data of limited value.
True true. Was just thinking it might be a help for mod creators who have unknowingly written bad scripts that vanilla was happy with.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

This was part of the reason a few people were suggesting earlier a wiki page of known working / not working / never going to work mods. I t would need to be updated with each release but would prevent long threads about mods that were known to be faulty.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I kinda see the point, but this problem should be exceptionally rare. If it is not, then we need to do something about it. And of course "never going to work" is not going to happen (if we exclude plugins that require a 3rd party binaries). All that needs to be done is a simple fix for this bloody script line and the plugin will work just fine. Might be worth trying to contact the original author (if he is still active), because this really isn't a problem specific to OpenMW. The scripts are just broken.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

By 'never going to work' I meant the scripts that were written by modders who are no longer active and were using some esoteric code exploits in Bethesda's code that does not work in OpenMW. These will never work without a rewrite probably from scratch.
In this case I am trying to contact the author.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Great. I think we should make a habit out of contacting content authors when we find broken scripts. Certainly easier than to implement more and more workarounds.
By 'never going to work' I meant the scripts that were written by modders who are no longer active and were using some esoteric code exploits in Bethesda's code that does not work in OpenMW.
I am not convinced that such a thing exists. We are replicating most of the idiosyncrasies of vanilla MW rather precisely. Of course it is possible that I am just overly optimistic here.