AI Pathing

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
lef42

AI Pathing

Post by lef42 »

Just wondering if anyone is actively working on the ai pathing because its pretty terrible. I'm doing the tribunal questline and the Dark Brotherhood assassins are mostly just running in place :(
Zini

Re: AI Pathing

Post by Zini »

I don't think anyone is working on pathfinding. Is it a lot worse than in vanilla MW? Unless that is the case I would suggest to leave it alone for now. More likely than not we are going to throw out the current pathfinding system for nav meshes. But that would be a post 1.0 feature.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zini wrote:Is it a lot worse than in vanilla MW?
It definitely is. It's so easy to get enemies caught on tiny obstacles, it removes most of the challenge from the game.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

raevol wrote:
It definitely is. It's so easy to get enemies caught on tiny obstacles, it removes most of the challenge from the game.
Don't forget that our physics handling isn't fantastic either. I think the combination pathfinding and physics makes this issue worse.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

psi29a wrote:
raevol wrote:
Don't forget that our physics handling isn't fantastic either. I think the combination pathfinding and physics makes this issue worse.
One thing that I think contributes to this is the different ground handling of OpenMW; I think it's plenty friendly for terrain (in fact, I think you can climb things that were inaccessible in vanilla), but I'm not sure that meshes are treated as fairly as they used to be, and the AI currently doesn't even try to see if it's been stuck or anything. Iunno how OpenMW's AI implementation works, but is it difficult to add a check for movement (i.e. has my XYZ changed?) to the protocols for follow/chase/other move?
lef42

Post by lef42 »

raevol wrote:
I agree it takes away alot of the difficulty how it is now.
ghales

Post by ghales »

Plus, the pathfinding is even worse outside of combat. Guards can find their way out of town to help you, but they can't make it back without getting stuck on something. They don't even seem to try if they wind up in water.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I am well aware there are issues in the code. I was planning to give AI a once-over before 1.0.
raevol

Post by raevol »

scrawl wrote:I am well aware there are issues in the code. I was planning to give AI a once-over before 1.0.
I think this is the first time scrawl has said "I am planning to fix that but haven't yet" instead of "I already fixed that, why don't you have my commit yet".

Scrawl's the man. 8-)
ezze

Post by ezze »

raevol wrote:
scrawl wrote:I am well aware there are issues in the code. I was planning to give AI a once-over before 1.0.
I think this is the first time scrawl has said "I am planning to fix that but haven't yet" instead of "I already fixed that, why don't you have my commit yet".

Scrawl's the man. 8-)
Same feeling here, I double checked the author of the post :D