Morrowind Script extender integrated?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
DarkAnsem

Morrowind Script extender integrated?

Post by DarkAnsem » 01 Sep 2014, 15:33

Will we still require the morrowind script extender, or the functions added will be integrated by OpenMW?
Integrated and\or expanded?

HiPhish

Re: Morrowind Script extender integrated?

Post by HiPhish » 01 Sep 2014, 16:00

Neither. MSE is a DLL that was injected into the original game, so it won't work with OpenMW where everything was coded from scratch. It was also stated that OpenMW won't provide a built-in MSE either.

The Morrowind Script Extender was really just a band-aid solution because the code of Morrowind was unavailable. With openMW there is no reason to band-aid things anymore, it can all be done in a much cleaner fashion. Some mods relying on MSE will need to be remade and some will be obsolete.

DarkAnsem

Post by DarkAnsem » 01 Sep 2014, 16:11

that's what I wanted to hear, to be honest :)
which scripting language will be used by OpenMW? I could get by a bit with Papyrus, but I wonder if I will have to learn everything from scratch for this :P

lysol

Post by lysol » 01 Sep 2014, 16:24

HiPhish wrote: The Morrowind Script Extender was really just a band-aid solution because the code of Morrowind was unavailable. With openMW there is no reason to band-aid things anymore, it can all be done in a much cleaner fashion. Some mods relying on MSE will need to be remade and some will be obsolete.
This is what I remember I've read too, but someone corrected me on that a while ago. Any "official" stance on if MWSE scripts will be implemented or not? I don't care really, none of the "must have" mods I want uses it, and I think it's better to start off from the beginning.
Normal mapped texture replacers, exclusive for OpenMW:
My Nexus page

Zini

Post by Zini » 01 Sep 2014, 17:06

OpenMW uses a superset of the original MW scirpting language. We already have lifted several restrictions and we will improve the language further after 1.0.

We will not support the instructions from MSE. Some of them are already redundant in OpenMW. And certain MSE syntactic constructs may be incompatible with the superset we use in OpenMW. We already support some features of MSE and we will add support for most or all of them after 1.0, but better integrated into the existing scripting language and not with the same instruction names.

DarkAnsem

Post by DarkAnsem » 01 Sep 2014, 17:16

Zini wrote:OpenMW uses a superset of the original MW scirpting language. We already have lifted several restrictions and we will improve the language further after 1.0.

We will not support the instructions from MSE. Some of them are already redundant in OpenMW. And certain MSE syntactic constructs may be incompatible with the superset we use in OpenMW. We already support some features of MSE and we will add support for most or all of them after 1.0, but better integrated into the existing scripting language and not with the same instruction names.
where's the "like" button? :)

Lagahan

Post by Lagahan » 02 Sep 2014, 10:11

Out of interest, whats the restrictions that have been lifted?
I remember back when I was modding Morrowind I was trying to script actors to move between cells and activate objects (use doors to go inside, travel from one town to another etc) but it always crashed. This was back before I had internet though so I could've been doing it wrong! (I probably was.)
Specs: Core i7 8700k @5GHz, EVGA GTX2080ti XC SLI,
32GB RAM @3.2GHz, Windows 10 1803