[Interest Check] Tutorial Series for OpenMW on 3D Art

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
HeadClot

[Interest Check] Tutorial Series for OpenMW on 3D Art

Post by HeadClot »

Hey everyone,
I want to put together a tutorial series for the OpenMW project. I want to cover some very awesome paid apps that do their job really well for asset creation in OpenMW. This would be a general use tutorial series for use with OpenMW.

Here is what I want to cover in this tutorial set.

Tools needed -
Blender, 3DS Max, Maya, etc. (A 3D App that accepts .OBJs as well as can rig characters.)
Zbrush (I will be covering Zbrush)
Marvelous Designer (Clothing Creation)
Mixamo FUSE (Character Creation Software)
Photoshop (I will be using photoshop CS5)
nDo2 and dDO (Photoshop plugins)

High level Overview -
1. Create your character base (Body) in Mixamo FUSE.
2. Creating your desired clothing in Marvelous Designer.
3. Re-topo your meshes in ZBrush and Creating UVs
4. Creating your masks for FUSE so that you can mask off polygons that are not needed.
5. Creating your Normal, Spec and Diffuse in Photoshop with nDo2, dDO and adding these meshes to your mesh in 3DS Max and exporting it as an OBJ for use in FUSE.
6. Bringing it all together by Importing in into Mixamo Fuse.
7. Exporting your final Model for rigging in 3DS Max from Mixamo FUSE.
8. Exporting from 3DS max to OpenMW.

Other Stuff I Want to cover if I have time -
1. Creating add-ons (Horns, Mustaches, Armor, etc.) for FUSE characters and Exporting them for Use in game engine.
2. Creating a Sword (and other hard surface objects) in 3DS Max.

What Information need from you -
1. What polygon counts / Triangle count are you aiming for?
2. What are your texture limits for OpenMW?
3. Is there an art and style document? If no can I put one together for the OpenMW team?

Would there be interest in this by the OpenMW Art team?

- HeadClot

UPDATE: Here are some tutorials for you guys to go over. Have fun.

3DS Max Tutorials - Basic to Advanced - (3DS MAX How to's)

3Ds Max How To's - Youtube

3DS Max Tutorials - Intermediate to Advanced (3D Palace)

3D palace - Youtube

Marvelous Designer - (Free3Dee)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... bD_pPabyzE
Last edited by HeadClot on 22 Aug 2014, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
Greendogo

Re: [Interest Check] Tutorial Series for OpenMW on 3D Art

Post by Greendogo »

Do other engines like Unity and Unreal have an art and style document, because my assumption is that they don't and don't need them since they are game agnostic (like OpenMW will be).

Honestly, this sounds great if you want to do it. A lot of great projects go a long time before getting production tutorials like this, if ever.
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot »

Greendogo wrote:Do other engines like Unity and Unreal have an art and style document, because my assumption is that they don't and don't need them since they are game agnostic (like OpenMW will be).

Honestly, this sounds great if you want to do it. A lot of great projects go a long time before getting production tutorials like this, if ever.
So it is an engine that is game agnostic? Or am i just reading in between the lines?

I always thought that OpenMW was an open source remake of MW and you guys were focusing on the engine for the time being. Which is why I asked for the Art and Style document.

Either way - I am want to do this :)
Chris

Post by Chris »

OpenMW is an engine only. We are not providing any MW or MW-like assets, remade or not. At most we have an Example Suite, something that shows off the engine using completely free assets, but it's not designed to be like MW.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with people making whatever and using them in OpenMW. But that's up to the people making and using such things.
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot »

Chris wrote:OpenMW is an engine only. We are not providing any MW or MW-like assets, remade or not. At most we have an Example Suite, something that shows off the engine using completely free assets, but it's not designed to be like MW.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with people making whatever and using them in OpenMW. But that's up to the people making and using such things.
Thanks for the information. This is really exciting.

I guess I should get busy :)
Deonsion

Post by Deonsion »

HeadClot wrote:
3. Is there an art and style document? If no can I put one together for the OpenMW team?
Going off this, I assume you want to help out with the asset update, correct?

If this is the case, then I'll address what I can.

1. We haven't determined, for now we are going with "Higher res is better since we can always lower poly count and resolution"
2. I don't believe there are really any limits. OpenMW relies on Ogre3D, so any limitations would be caused by that (and the optimizations, naturally).
3. For our asset update project- none yet. It might make it easier, but I think just tutorials on the tools and process would be more beneficial. I haven't yet gotten a roadmap set up (with Berandas's help), so if you want to jump in on the asset replacement thread it is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2331
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot »

Deonsion wrote:
HeadClot wrote:
Going off this, I assume you want to help out with the asset update, correct?

If this is the case, then I'll address what I can.

1. We haven't determined, for now we are going with "Higher res is better since we can always lower poly count and resolution"
2. I don't believe there are really any limits. OpenMW relies on Ogre3D, so any limitations would be caused by that (and the optimizations, naturally).
3. For our asset update project- none yet. It might make it easier, but I think just tutorials on the tools and process would be more beneficial. I haven't yet gotten a roadmap set up (with Berandas's help), so if you want to jump in on the asset replacement thread it is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2331
I have been thinking about helping out in the asset update. However I want to make a decent workflow for the art team. :)
Deonsion

Post by Deonsion »

Would be great for me. I personally just started working on 3d modeling last week, so a video series on making the models would be very helpful.

As a request: Could you do a series on the crossplatform tools first? EG: Blender?
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot »

Deonsion wrote:Would be great for me. I personally just started working on 3d modeling last week, so a video series on making the models would be very helpful.

As a request: Could you do a series on the crossplatform tools first? EG: Blender?
I do not know the modeling side of blender all that well. I will recommend a site to you that covers all the basics up to advanced stuff for blender.

Blender Cookie
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

Blender Cookie is truly one of the best. There are also hundreds of good tutorials on YouTube, so just look for what you need. Also you can always ask me.

Good luck with all the tutorials.