Asset Update to Ogre3D Discussion Thread

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Deonsion

Re: Some modeling/animation questions. Offering RDP Renderin

Post by Deonsion »

Yeah. My models don't exactly line up anywhere, and I'm just using the morrowind models imported in to get the general feel of that said tree I'm making a replacement for. AKA: The first tree I started with on here is that massive spread out, branchless tree. Having a sizing comparison to work with and a way to comparethe looks quickly is a lot easier than me making a broken character in morrowind that will levitate and just circle a tree with it paused as I do adjustments.

I'm getting more familiar, so in the future none of my works will be a derivative. This should make it completely independant of morrowind at this point.

Morrowind modeling: Download these two tools and have blender working:

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/12189/?

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/NifSkope

Both work FLAWLESSLY in wine. So if you're on linux just use that. I didn't even have to load any special winetricks to get them to work. Just extract all of the morrowind gamefiles with the BSA extraction tool, go to meshes, open the mesh you want to have in blender with NifSkope, export as DAE, then import DAE into blender.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Using Wine is unnecessary.
For extracting BSA archives you can use bsatool, which is included in the OpenMW repository (but not built by default, use -DBUILD_BSATOOL=ON cmake switch)
NifSkope is available for Linux: http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/Ni ... pile#Linux
Deonsion

Post by Deonsion »

Yeah, but simpler I found. I had NO luck getting NifSkope to run in my Mint 17 KDE distro. Couldn't complie it. I think I will have to adjust the sourcecode but I was just looking for a way to get it working quickly.

I did not install any extra items with the installation of openmw. Just used the apt-get commands after adding the ppa. As I get more involved I'll compile from source.

Finally - freaking niftools (the import directly extension) doesn't work with 64 bit, nor does it work with blender 2.7+. Only compatible with 2.49b x86

Before I forget. I believe I have a friend who is willing to set up a filezilla server on my dedicated server I use for testing purposes. I'll update later in the week about that.
AeroPhonicsOfficial

Post by AeroPhonicsOfficial »

So, I am a decently experienced modeler, trying to get better, and would like to join the project and work flow, I just have a few questions:

1-What exactly is our polycount goal? Like modern day average?
2-Can we expand variations to add in later (Full Netch Leather the full Boiled Netch Leather)? :o
3-Can I start on the Actors section (Body models then armor and clothing)? ;)
4-Respect, I highly respect all of you and this project! :)

Carpe Diem! :D

P.s I think we should make this ourselves, not convert models from other projects, just my thoughts

P.s.s. You can load models in Blender 2.49, then save as .blend, open in 2.5,6,7+ then export as .dae the reimport so you get all the tool of the default set up! Then open .blend in 2.49 to export to .nif format ;)
Deonsion

Post by Deonsion »

I just started on this project last week, and got the hang of the modeling tools needed. I'll be discussing in detail polygon count and when the organization is completed, I'll update the thread and create another for the actual work process. I edited the first post earlier today but I'll just summarize:

This week:
Filezilla server will be set up (I believe this is what we will use since I do have my own dedicated server with fairly high uptime and 1TB of storage in raid 1).
Figure out specifics regarding the meshes and the specifics for the textures.

As far as helping, I am not going to turn down any offers for help!

EDIT Addressing the PS:

Yup. I stated this as I got information regarding what would be allowed or not allowed for this to be released with OpenMW.

Also, I can't get blender 2.49b x86 running on my installation of linux without making a chroot enviornment using an older operating system. At that point it is easier just to use wine (for me) to run NifSkope which does exactly what you're talking about :)
Last edited by Deonsion on 18 Aug 2014, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
AeroPhonicsOfficial

Post by AeroPhonicsOfficial »

Okie Dokie, and that's what I want, a better looking Morrowind, not what seems to be happening on a lot of Skywind :/

Yeah, I got Windows 7 and Linux so I do most of my modeling there. I'll get to it and wait till it's all organized to modify polys and stuff. Carpe Diem!
lysol

Post by lysol »

Since this project is gonna be huge (!), I guess you'll need a lot of help (and you'll need to have a good organization to have the same atmosphere on everything that everyone makes :) You/someone would have to decide what's good enough and what's not I guess). Anyway, I love this idea, I've never used any high-res pack for morrowind since I've always thought that they go too far from the original style and are so often just recolored photos.

I did some modelling and texturing for Warcraft III ten years ago, on 3ds max and photoshop. I still use photoshop for other stuff, but I have barely touched a 3d modelling program since. If I were to pick up blender and feel like I haven't forgotten everything, I might contribute a little bit too. Haven't got that much free time, but enough for a few assets.
Deonsion

Post by Deonsion »

If that is the case, why not try and make textures for us? 3d modeling once it gets going might not be *that bad*, but the texturing is where it will all come down to. Since you seem to care (as I do) about that atmosphere and darkness of the game when you start it, you should have a good idea on what the textures should look like with bumpmapping, and better resolutions.

I never liked most of the high res textures, also. I feel they detract from the game too much.

Also, textures can be applied, adjusted, recoloured to match other areas. So we might (probably will) make use of the textures in a lot of different models. Might be better investment of time.

Otherwise, welcome aboard! I will be getting advice on how to organize all of this. Going to get some type of list running and get this all "official" like this week.

Just ignore what I said. Berandas has a good point about texturing.
Last edited by Deonsion on 18 Aug 2014, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

Textures are going to be a very hard work, I would better wait a while until the model management and all the stuff around are settled.
Are we going to use different LoD variations? Is even OpenMW supporting this feature?

Also I think we should check, if there are some "hipoly" replacers out there, that are made from scratch and matching our standards, so we could save some time and work.
Deonsion

Post by Deonsion »

Update: Setting up a filezilla server soon. (this week).

We will just be releasing this as a mod. This is about keeping the atmosphere of the game. Even keeping the colour pallete and general atmosphere of the game would classify as a derivative work, so we'll just have this be a vanilla texture/mesh upgrade mod. It will cut down on workload.

Make your models as high res as you want. It is easier to lower poly count than it is to raise the poly count.

If anyone wants to help me look around for other mods that keep to the original atmosphere of the game, could you post them? I will contact them to find out if they happen to have the textures they used, or wouldn't mind helping out. Moore the merrier.

Once we get done with the basic modeling we can move onto animating.
the problem will come with creatures... skeletons are usually messed after importing in Blender, also the animation is so long that blender has a problem to show it properly in curve editor.