Asset Update to Ogre3D Discussion Thread

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Berandas

Re: Asset Update to Ogre3D Discussion Thread

Post by Berandas »

I should probably make some sort of statement on the status of this project, a bit late though.

What's the current status of the MOAR project?
The project is fully operational on the technical side of things - the database is runing, tasks can be claimed and there are few files already uploaded.
The problem comes from the organisation side. Sadly, Deonsion had to focus on solving his RL issues and take a break from this project for some time and I originaly entered this project only as an advisor, because I don't have much time for managing another project, I was kinda left alone for managing this gigant. I don't want to see how it becomes the project of ghosts, because everything seems to be nicely lined up and prepared for a nice future, we just need more manpower.
MOAR already has several dozens registered members, but only few are actually working on their claims.
So, if you are at least a bit interested in helping this project, please do, MOAR needs you more than ever.
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

I said it before and I'll say it again... This needs a proper thread on the Bethsoft Forums.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Indeed it does. Personally I got caught up with too much job and and too much "other stuff" in real life on my free time. I'm still hoping to contribute when I get the time.
SwissCM

Post by SwissCM »

Kinda butting in here to note that normal mapping is kinda depreciated nowadays, efforts should probably go towards displacement mapping and other more advanced technology instead. One particularly good reason to shift away from normal maps is because they look pretty awful and very unconvincing in VR. Same goes for billboard sprites, though I'm unsure if that'll be a thing in OpenMW's case.

Having native Rift/VR support in Morrowind would be awesome. I think it's a good goal to build new assets that would enhance that kind of experience.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

SwissCM wrote:Having native Rift/VR support in Morrowind would be awesome. I think it's a good goal to build new assets that would enhance that kind of experience.
That is going to be hard considering that Rift's SDK is no longer GPL compatible. It is possible that Oculus Rift support will never come for GPL games.

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=487
lysol

Post by lysol »

But is displacement mapping really ready for games yet? I don't know, but reading about it, it seems that it requires quite a lot of computer power. What about parallax mapping? Isn't that good enough and still not as futuristic as displacement mapping seems to be? Correct me if I'm wrong...
Chris

Post by Chris »

psi29a wrote:That is going to be hard considering that Rift's SDK is no longer GPL compatible. It is possible that Oculus Rift support will never come for GPL games.

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=487
All it really needs is a GPL-compatible wrapper in between the app and SDK. Or for someone to make GPL-compatible libs and headers as alternatives, that are ABI compatible with the Rift's SDK (in a similar way to how there are GPL-compatible "libGL"s which allow GPL apps to dynamically link with libGL, even if it's ultimately run with nVidia's non-GPL-compatible libGL).
ezze

Post by ezze »

Is this project still alive? I checked the website http://inglip.org/ but it looks down here...
sjek

Post by sjek »

its as alive as people actively developing it and getting new people on that scale mission is harder than usual.

could this be moved to as project tamriel mod project ?

they would have more of the reguired manpower peoples passing by and dedication to pull this trough over the time.

edit: as of ogre3d this is only draft suggestion for later and such not so relevant before 1.0 i think. ogre may have backward compability with it's later properties but dunno about if it's could done to vanilla also ?
havent yet read the later posts...