Some feedback on v0.31

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
nnayo

Re: Some feedback on v0.31

Post by nnayo » 28 Jul 2014, 07:11

Hi,

just to say, I've seen a huge, huge increase in .esm and .esp loading speed
as well as saving/loading.

thanks a lot and keep doing such a good job.

ghales

Post by ghales » 30 Jul 2014, 00:42

OK, here are my final observations before putting 0.31 away:

OpenMW needs a bit of work on combat. NPCs don't use their best weapons, faction members don't help each other, enemies don't cast magic, etc. The game loses something when you can fight a Greater Bonewalker and not have to worry about your strength getting damaged. There are already bugs open on all of this, so I'll just offer encouragement and thanks to the devs working on it.

Another item that I think is affecting game enjoyment is Light Magic Effect (feature #1122). Torches are annoying, so I hope this gets into 0.32.

BTW, has anybody managed to contract a disease? I got Ash-Chancre once (a blight disease), but I've never contracted a common disease, in spite of fighting many diseased animals. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Are the mechanics for climbing hills correct? It seems to me that I can walk/run up very steep slopes. My character only has 30 Agility and can go places no beginner in stock Morrowind could manage.

Overall, OpenMW is very playable in its current state, and I am eagerly waiting for 0.32. Thank you, all.

Tinker

Post by Tinker » 15 Aug 2014, 12:42

I have noticed the guards getting further away from Sedya Neen as well, yesterday 3 rushed into the sea to fight one slaughterfish, two of them died the other returned to patrol, one of the dead ones sank the other floated so I could loot him.

There is one guard though that has worked his way far out to sea, if I am on the furtherest interesting island with the family crypt and bandit base I can just see a guard further out to sea, in all cases the guards are waist deep.

I also get stuck a lot more often that I used to.

Another thing I have noticed is that wilderness creatures and cave animals do not respawn as in the OG, I am not sure if that is a feature that should be complete for 1.0 or something that comes later.

In any case a big thank you to everyone who has got this project this far is super fast time, I am only sorry I cannot offer much in the way of skills to help move it on.
Arch Linux - rolling release, always up to date, often partly broken.

dragonjim

Post by dragonjim » 17 Aug 2014, 20:40

Hi all.

Before I start, I'd just like to say what a great job you're all doing.

I downloaded v0.31 yesterday, had a quick run through and there a few things I'd like to add to ghales's list:

1. In Vanilla Morrowind, activating Caps Lock was the same as pressing Shift (so after pressing Caps Lock, pressing 'W' would have you running forward rather than walking); this doesn't seem to happen in OpenMW.

2. There is a pool of water beside the walkway to the lighthouse in Seyda Neen that appears and disappears as you walk past (I've tried taking a screenshot but can't find the folder in which the screenshot is saved).

3. In Vanilla Morrowind, pressing the number of your pre-defined weapon of choice or inventory item (from the F1 menu) not only places that weapon in your hand but activates it (the same as if you pressed 'F'); to do the same thing in OpenMW, you have to select the item number and then press 'F'.

4. To add the description of Bug 1148 (some books/scrolls do not display properly), in 'The Wraith's Wedding Dowry' where there should be inverted commas (or speech marks) there are question marks.

I hope these observations are of some help.

scrawl

Post by scrawl » 17 Aug 2014, 23:36

1. In Vanilla Morrowind, activating Caps Lock was the same as pressing Shift (so after pressing Caps Lock, pressing 'W' would have you running forward rather than walking); this doesn't seem to happen in OpenMW.
The Always Run function is implemented, but for technical reasons the default key is different (Y, not caps lock)
2. There is a pool of water beside the walkway to the lighthouse in Seyda Neen that appears and disappears as you walk past (I've tried taking a screenshot but can't find the folder in which the screenshot is saved).
Already reported.
For future reference, screenshots path: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Paths
3. In Vanilla Morrowind, pressing the number of your pre-defined weapon of choice or inventory item (from the F1 menu) not only places that weapon in your hand but activates it (the same as if you pressed 'F'); to do the same thing in OpenMW, you have to select the item number and then press 'F'.
Please submit a bug report. If I'm correct, doesn't the same apply to selecting spells too?
4. To add the description of Bug 1148 (some books/scrolls do not display properly), in 'The Wraith's Wedding Dowry' where there should be inverted commas (or speech marks) there are question marks.
Already fixed.

dragonjim

Post by dragonjim » 18 Aug 2014, 00:08

Cheers for the response

I've raised the bug report - and, yes, you're right, it also happens with when selecting spells.

Lagahan

Post by Lagahan » 18 Aug 2014, 10:07

ghales wrote: BTW, has anybody managed to contract a disease? I got Ash-Chancre once (a blight disease), but I've never contracted a common disease, in spite of fighting many diseased animals. Maybe I've just been lucky.
I haven't contracted any either and I've fought quite a few too.

Finally got around to trying out OpenMW this weekend and oh boy I'm glad I did!
I blasted through the Theives' Guild, Fighters Guild and Mages Guild over the weekend without any quest stopping hitches! (Apart from a minor soul trap scroll issue for a Mages Guild quest thats already on bug tracker.)

The AI needs a bit of work in the combat spells department and apart from the odd physics difference, renderer stuff its been just like playing a normal copy of Morrowind.
Some of the features that I found missing (AI self defence, Command creature, Lava etc) are already fixed for 0.32.0!

Will try to get the main quest finished tonight and get testing those expansions :P

Congrats on getting 100% of the scripts compiling!
Specs: Core i7 8700k @5GHz, EVGA GTX2080ti XC SLI,
32GB RAM @3.2GHz, Windows 10 1803

raevol

Post by raevol » 18 Aug 2014, 18:18

Does anyone else notice NPCs and silt striders seem more chatty than in vanilla?

bahamut

Post by bahamut » 18 Aug 2014, 18:37

raevol wrote:Does anyone else notice NPCs and silt striders seem more chatty than in vanilla?
its just openMW having openNPC's

raevol

Post by raevol » 18 Aug 2014, 23:11

bahamut wrote:its just openMW having openNPC's
8-)