Engine Flexibility Questions For Dynamic Features

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
izackp

Engine Flexibility Questions For Dynamic Features

Post by izackp »

I've always wanted to create a mod with lots of dynamically generated content. From my knowledge, there is not a lot of support for this with any of the bethesda games.

Will OpenMW be flexible enough to handle dynamic maps, content, and lighting?
Last edited by izackp on 19 Jun 2014, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
SquireNed

Re: Engine Flexibility Question

Post by SquireNed »

Define "dynamic". Out of the box, it supports dynamic lighting already (at least as far as light sources go), though dynamic mapping and content would (AFAIK) require an extension of the current system; it's not meant for making roguelike-esque randomized scenarios, though that's certainly possible with the Morrowind content.

Some dynamic material may be possible through scripting, of course.
izackp

Re: Engine Flexibility Question

Post by izackp »

Roguelike-esque randomized scenarios was exactly what I was thinking lol. I'd also like to be able to modify maps during run time.

So, I guess the question is, would I have to 'extend' the system or 'rewrite' the system in order to support something like this. Seemingly, I think this would lean towards 'rewrite' since it would probably effect saves, AI pathfinding, and include features that the original didn't support, but thats just my guess.
SquireNed

Re: Engine Flexibility Questions For Dynamic Features

Post by SquireNed »

Probably extend. You'd also probably need to feed in information about the cell elements. As far as saving cells, you'd probably just have to make an extension on that. As far as AI pathfinding, I don't recall how that works in Morrowind; I thought it was dynamic to begin with. In any case, if you're combining existing elements rather than building truly dynamic ones, you're probably fine.

There used to be a random dungeon generator for Morrowind, but I can't find it. I can find a level made with it, though: http://elderscrolls.filefront.com/file/Arg_Domurg;81343

EDIT: It may be one of the dead links here:

http://www.mwmythicmods.com/toolsmod.htm

EDIT 2: Think I found it (or something like it) here:

http://www.fliggerty.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... &start=150 (if you're not on the thing you're looking for, type "dungeon" into a find in text box to get it).
Last edited by SquireNed on 19 Jun 2014, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
izackp

Post by izackp »

Awesome thanks for the info :D .
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

There's no source, unfortunately, and it's not dynamic, but you could examine the .esp's it creates for some good ol' clean room reverse engineering.
MithrilLeaf

Post by MithrilLeaf »

I was also considering something like this, maybe a Dwemer dungeon complex that randomly rebuilds as you travel. I think there's some decent existing ones that we can use the open source code from if some more popular scripting languages get implemented post 1.0.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

I have all the genmods, they made random dungeons. They would make dungeons that were different, and you added them as normal. They did NOT make dungeons that changed when you walk out and then back in it still was the same.

If there is a place to upload or some such, you can get copies. I think they had sourcecode as well.

ST
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

MithrilLeaf wrote:I was also considering something like this, maybe a Dwemer dungeon complex that randomly rebuilds as you travel. I think there's some decent existing ones that we can use the open source code from if some more popular scripting languages get implemented post 1.0.
A dungeon that changes as you play could be done through scripting, no engine additions required. Would likely require additional script commands. Currently, you can move things using script, however, I dont believe there is a way to change where a load door leads(unless you use that trick by putting another load door to appear in front of the old one)
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Tarius wrote:I dont believe there is a way to change where a load door leads(unless you use that trick by putting another load door to appear in front of the old one)
What about having multiple load doors in the same place, but only one enabled?

ST