Call for testing: Tribunal and BM main quests

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Chris

Re: Call for testing: Tribunal and BM main quests

Post by Chris »

bahamut wrote:sound volume is off and i get numerous boars oinking loud from my speakers
This is actually a problem with the vanilla game, in certain configurations. The problem is that the sound is stereo for some reason, so it basically ignores the sound position (most 3D sound engines only allow mono sounds to be played in 3D). There's a few ways we can handle it, but the most future-proof way is to just make sure that sounds played in 3D are mono... which would be relatively simple if we could use ffmpeg's libswresample.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Chris wrote:
bahamut wrote:sound volume is off and i get numerous boars oinking loud from my speakers
This is actually a problem with the vanilla game, in certain configurations. The problem is that the sound is stereo for some reason, so it basically ignores the sound position (most 3D sound engines only allow mono sounds to be played in 3D). There's a few ways we can handle it, but the most future-proof way is to just make sure that sounds played in 3D are mono... which would be relatively simple if we could use ffmpeg's libswresample.
Interesting. Could you create a ticket on the tracker for this?
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

Chris wrote:The problem is that the sound is stereo for some reason
which would be relatively simple if we could use ffmpeg's libswresample.
Out of curiosity, how does ffmpeg's libswresample handle the phase errors/cancellations you get when you stereo->mono?
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Chris wrote:This is actually a problem with the vanilla game, in certain configurations. The problem is that the sound is stereo for some reason, so it basically ignores the sound position (most 3D sound engines only allow mono sounds to be played in 3D). There's a few ways we can handle it, but the most future-proof way is to just make sure that sounds played in 3D are mono... which would be relatively simple if we could use ffmpeg's libswresample.
Yeah, this problem existed before openmw. I remember it. A simple fix is to resample the sound to mono in audacity. I know we cannot distribute beth content, even resampled. too bad there was never a patch that corrected this in vanilla MW.

ST
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

The last BM blocker I am aware of has been fixed (#1588). Does that mean we are done, or did no one continue past this quest yet?
bahamut

Post by bahamut »

scrawl wrote:The last BM blocker I am aware of has been fixed (#1588). Does that mean we are done, or did no one continue past this quest yet?
Never encountered this as blocker, on my last BM MQ test all quests up to "The Ristaag" for Werewolf side where working, might resume testing soon
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Update: scripts branch has been merged. Helseth's Champion (Tribunal) should now work.
Lagahan

Post by Lagahan »

Just started a playthrough, submitted/updated a few minor bugs last night. Should get as far as Tribunal within 2 weeks playing after work. Really amazed with how fast progress is going with OpenMW!
I'm playing with all the original patches applied to the ESM files, as per a normal MW install. Is this OK or should I be using the raw, broken ones? :P

I have a question though, how minor of a bug qualifies for the bug tracker, ie the keys showing value and weight bug I just submitted, does that really warrant a tracker issue? Is that a feature or a bug? I don't want to cram the tracker with a million small things. I'll hopefully upload videos of any bugs I encounter as unlisted to YT then link them to the tracker issues.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Bug/issue tracker is going to be flooded, just write really good bug reports. The worst that you do is waste your and our time... :P

When in doubt, drop by IRC and ask questions.