Openmw and Skywind

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
arizzi

Openmw and Skywind

Post by arizzi »

I wanted to create this thread to discuss the possibility and opportunities, if any, for running some form of skywind in Openmw. From what I understand, a significant amount of content was created specifically for sky wind and thus isn't bound by and legal constraints.

So I guess the foremost question is how difficult would it be to get some for of Skywind running on Openmw?
wheybags

Re: Openmw and Skywind

Post by wheybags »

All skywind assets are made for skyrim, the nifs would have to be converted, which would be a significant effort.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Can someone estimate the amount of effort would be required to handle the NIFs from Oblivion or Skyrim?

Niftools has been updated with Skyrim support, or is that even relevant?
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

If it came to it, NIF-to-OGRE-native conversions would be the better bet (as to how that'd be best done, not sure).

You'd be better off talking to the MGSO and Morrowind Rebirth people about it, see if their plans incorporate OpenMW in future and if so if they'd be willing to work with the Skywind team on including Skywind's original assets in their mods.
Chris

Post by Chris »

BrotherBrick wrote:Can someone estimate the amount of effort would be required to handle the NIFs from Oblivion or Skyrim?
Quite a bit. There's a bunch more record types, some existing records have different structures (some fields removed or added), and there's added physics data that I don't believe has been fully decoded and is designed for Havok.
mjmax

Post by mjmax »

This is an incredible opportunity though. Skywind's scope and ambition has skyrocketed in recent months; once it's created the assets I think a partnership between the two would be the best of both worlds for Morrowind.

Skywind gets past its engine limitations, and OpenMW would finally have the content to show off it's potential for better graphics.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Just so that no one gets too carried away, let OpenMW get to 1.0 first, please. ;)
Nymunariya

Post by Nymunariya »

Unpopular opnion time: what´s wrong with Vanilla Morrowind graphics? (okay, I know I use high res textures, but vanilla still looks good)

My only worries about Skywind, is that it´s going to require the Skyrim engine/esms. And even if we do port it.

And speaking of physics data, what annoyed me the most about Oblivion, was how you bump into a table and everything, that´s so nicely placed on top, falls off (and I had the unfortunate pleasure of having extreamly loud soundeffects when that happened).

I like Morrowind physics ... the only thing I wouldn´t mind seeing being done is a system that doesn´t punish mages.

But again, this is just me.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Nymunariya wrote: My only worries about Skywind, is that it´s going to require the Skyrim engine/esms. And even if we do port it.
Yes, Skyrim IS required for Skywind. To use Skywind models and textures in OpenMW, first off the models and textures (only the Skywind exclusive ones, none of the Skyrim ones) needs to be converted to a format usable in OpenMW, and then put in a new OpenMW mod, aka "porting". If that's done, then Skyrim won't be needed. This will probably require a lot of time consuming work.

The landmass in Skywind is made by hand or at least heavily modified from the Morrowind landmass. If that's easily imported into OpenMW I have no idea.

And of course, the Skywind team must allow it.
Last edited by lysol on 14 Jan 2014, 11:25, edited 2 times in total.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Nymunariya wrote:Unpopular opnion time: what´s wrong with Vanilla Morrowind graphics? (okay, I know I use high res textures, but vanilla still looks good)

I like Morrowind physics ... the only thing I wouldn´t mind seeing being done is a system that doesn´t punish mages.

But again, this is just me.
The engine is not only about Morrowind though, this is about showing that the engine can be used for more than just the Morrowind game, which most people seem to forget, or never knew.