Specular Highlights?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Necrod

Re: Specular Highlights?

Post by Necrod »

That looks mighty impressive. Could you try it out with a texture replacement mod? "better faces" mod still isn't compatible with OpenMW right?
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Apparently Dunmer skin is coated in a layer of mucus :mrgreen:
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

In the future we should definitely switch to a proper separate full colour image file for the spec map? ie, texture_s.dds (when the checking resource thing is improved)

Rational;
-Alpha channel is extremely hard to work with in any application, especially if you are abusing it to do something else.
-Specular highlights are often times not only black or white, if you want to make for example a shiny golden weapon/coins it does not have white highlights but golden highlights.
-There is an obvious issue if one wanted to use alpha blending and specular highlights at the same time.

You could also consider a roughness map, which controls the shininess/hardness of the reflection.
This would be a black and white map where white is 100% shiny and black is 100% blurred reflection. This is perfect for meshes with mixed materials such as armour which has some metal pieces and some cloth pieces in the texture.
( texture_r.dds )
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Yeah, that is what I had planned. RGB for specular color, alpha for shininess.
-Specular highlights are often times not only black or white, if you want to make for example a shiny golden weapon/coins it does not have white highlights but golden highlights.
You can do this by changing the specular color in the NIF, but obviously no variations in color along the texture.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Great work guys, that looks great!

I'm going to get WeirdSexy over here so we can make sure he puts this in the next video.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Greendogo wrote:Great work guys, that looks great!

I'm going to get WeirdSexy over here so we can make sure he puts this in the next video.

To help out I already added this video to the feature specific playlist of our OpenMW channel.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I've created a wiki page: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=TextureModding
Feel free to improve it. Some example textures would be great.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

@PeterBitt, in case you wanted to do this for terrain too, this is now possible in git master: http://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 530#p20530
Unfortunately this one needed source code changes, so I can't just send you another file :D But you can try to grab a nightly build from Ace in the next days.
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

HiPhish wrote:Apparently Dunmer skin is coated in a layer of mucus :mrgreen:
Yeah the normal map looks really dirty, I need to improve it.
I noticed that its hard to get 100% correct normal maps from simply converting textures. I need to find out how I can improve those by hand (always so confused by the colors, geyscale bump maps are much easier to understand), from what I understand normal maps are best created from a high poly sculpt.
scrawl wrote:I've created a wiki page: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=TextureModding
Feel free to improve it. Some example textures would be great.
If you want to have any of my textures let me know.
scrawl wrote:@PeterBitt, in case you wanted to do this for terrain too, this is now possible in git master: http://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 530#p20530
Unfortunately this one needed source code changes, so I can't just send you another file :D But you can try to grab a nightly build from Ace in the next days.
Awesome! The ground looks amazing in the video.
I have almost edited all nessesary meshes for Ald Velothi and Vivec, with the ground textures this will be nice and complete showcase places. But I am a bit busy and want to make sure the textures get some care this time, so it might take a while.
Necrod wrote:That looks mighty impressive. Could you try it out with a texture replacement mod? "better faces" mod still isn't compatible with OpenMW right?
When I am done with my normal mapped vanilla texture stuffs, I can gladly share all the meshes I edited so that someone else can try all those shiny high res textures. I dont like the texture replacers available for MW.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

PeterBitt wrote:
Necrod wrote:That looks mighty impressive. Could you try it out with a texture replacement mod? "better faces" mod still isn't compatible with OpenMW right?
When I am done with my normal mapped vanilla texture stuffs, I can gladly share all the meshes I edited so that someone else can try all those shiny high res textures. I dont like the texture replacers available for MW.
How does one go about doing such a thing. I have some experience with textures and bump maps, and a little with morrowind modding but have no idea where should I start with this.