Page 1 of 3

Please update the FAQ

Posted: 05 Jun 2013, 10:51
by ezzetabi
It is very confusing for newcomers to read that OpenMW does not render terrain!

Re: Please update the FAQ

Posted: 05 Jun 2013, 11:12
by psi29a
Throw out "What is the current development status?" since this is always changing... people can read the blog and get a feel as to what is going on.

The FAQ should be there for concrete questions with answers that hardly, if ever, change.

For example: "What technologies..." can be updated to remove Audiere. We also know that OIS will eventually be changed, but isn't for the time being. So just remove Audiere and keep OIS.

I would git rid of Scripting because OpenMW is "home brew" to begin with. We should only be listing 3rd party technologies. Special case can be made for shiny since that is now an external lib that can be used in other projects.

Just for starters...

Re: Please update the FAQ

Posted: 05 Jun 2013, 11:32
by lgromanowski
BrotherBrick wrote:Throw out "What is the current development status?" since this is always changing... people can read the blog and get a feel as to what is going on.

The FAQ should be there for concrete questions with answers that hardly, if ever, change.

For example: "What technologies..." can be updated to remove Audiere. We also know that OIS will eventually be changed, but isn't for the time being. So just remove Audiere and keep OIS.

I would git rid of Scripting because OpenMW is "home brew" to begin with. We should only be listing 3rd party technologies. Special case can be made for shiny since that is now an external lib that can be used in other projects.

Just for starters...
Development status and info about audiere has been removed, thanks for pointing this out! :)

Re: Please update the FAQ

Posted: 25 Jun 2013, 17:05
by ezzetabi
Nice, I think also: "What are the objectives for OpenMW 1.0?" (See my signature) is a good question. What about adding it?

Re: Please update the FAQ

Posted: 26 Jun 2013, 02:58
by Greendogo
I went over the FAQ as it stands and just corrected some spelling and grammar mistakes and also cleared up some of the sentences and word choices. I also updated the Steam price to $20, which is its current price. I think the $5 price was for a sale.

Also, I think OIS can finally be replaced by SDL2, yes? And we should mention the use of Qt for the external parts of OpenMW - the launcher and OpenCS.

Since I corrected the whole document, Word wouldn't let me paste it back with the links included, so I just saved it as an htm and zipped it up (because the forums won't let me upload an htm file).

Re: Please update the FAQ

Posted: 26 Jun 2013, 08:18
by lgromanowski
Greendogo wrote:I went over the FAQ as it stands and just corrected some spelling and grammar mistakes and also cleared up some of the sentences and word choices. I also updated the Steam price to $20, which is its current price. I think the $5 price was for a sale.

Also, I think OIS can finally be replaced by SDL2, yes? And we should mention the use of Qt for the external parts of OpenMW - the launcher and OpenCS.

Since I corrected the whole document, Word wouldn't let me paste it back with the links included, so I just saved it as an htm and zipped it up (because the forums won't let me upload an htm file).
Thanks, I will update FAQ this evening.

Re: Please update the FAQ

Posted: 27 Jun 2013, 05:33
by Greendogo
I noticed there are several errors in the FAQ that were corrected in my upload; were there some corrections that you disagreed with?

Also, the Google Group for OpenMW no longer exists, or at least the link regarding the reasons for the C++ rewrite doesn't link to it anymore.

Re: Please update the FAQ

Posted: 27 Jun 2013, 18:25
by lgromanowski
Greendogo wrote:I noticed there are several errors in the FAQ that were corrected in my upload; were there some corrections that you disagreed with?
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what do you mean. Did I missed something from your html file (I converted it to plain text, and I did ctrl-c + ctrl-v parts of it where I saw a change)? If so, would you show me which parts are missing, or wrongly copied?
Also, the Google Group for OpenMW no longer exists, or at least the link regarding the reasons for the C++ rewrite doesn't link to it anymore.
I will remove it in few moments.

Re: Please update the FAQ

Posted: 27 Jun 2013, 18:58
by ezzetabi
Also you added nothing about what are the objectives for OpenMW 1.0? It was not worth?

Re: Please update the FAQ

Posted: 27 Jun 2013, 19:42
by lgromanowski
ezzetabi wrote:Also you added nothing about what are the objectives for OpenMW 1.0? It was not worth?
It is worth to put it into FAQ for sure, but I need to read that topic first and see what is mentioned there.