Inspirational project

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
NightOwl

Inspirational project

Post by NightOwl »

Hi everybody,
I'm new here. For means of introduction, let me just say this: I like pasta. And my nick is NightOwl. I guess that says something about me.

I just wanted to let you guys know that your project rocks. I still can't believe that people would be so passionate as to devote so much of their time to a project so time-consuming which results are not guaranteed at all.

You guys inspire me.
So I've taken upon myself to learn(ing? sorry, English isn't my main language) C++ (it'll only be my fourth attempt...).
I don't mean to help you guys; I have no experience, I am just starting over yet again. It would probably take me years in order to become useful for OpenMW on the coding side of things. But thinking that, if I had gone all the way last time I tried to learn, I'd be able to help you guys out right now, makes me want to learn so as to support similar projects when the time comes.

I just wanted you to realize that starting such a project has implications reaching way further than just remaking an old classic. It also shows that people are able to come together, give some of their time, make projects, with no earnings hoped nor wished.

So keep it up. I really hope OpenMW will succeed, you guys have my confidence.

Now, on the discussion/debate side of things: the main challenge for you guys is the legal standing. Bethesda is ambivalent, we've seen different cases in the past... I know you are in a pretty good spot, but the thing they have and you don't, is millions to spend on qualified, experienced lawyers. I hope that the company won't try to stop you, and if they try, that you will stand your ground and win.

That's it. Good night and good luck.
WeirdSexy

Re: Inspirational project

Post by WeirdSexy »

Welcome!

Thanks for the kind words. I like pasta too!

I can't speak directly for Bethesda's legal department, but we've gotten positive feedback from the company about our project in the past if that sets your mind at ease. We're not distributing any copyrighted content belonging to Bethesda or Zenimax and we aren't doing anything that they've opposed in the past like transferring assets from one of their games to another, etc. You're right that Bethesda has a good deal of power, but you're also right that we're in a pretty good spot as far as legal standing. We don't intend to do anything that could be harmful to Bethesda. The availability of an actively maintained, modern, and cross platform engine can do nothing but encourage a few more people to buy Morrowind.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

WeirdSexy wrote:The availability of an actively maintained, modern, and cross platform engine can do nothing but encourage a few more people to buy Morrowind.
Far too logical for a company. If they were able to think this way, we would have most engines open source few years after release and a real support for Linux and Mac (at least via Wine).
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Even if Bethesda wanted to open-source Morrowind they couldn't because they use 3rd party middleware. Sucks pretty much. Arx Fatalis is the only halfway recent game I can think of that went open source.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

ezzetabi wrote:
WeirdSexy wrote:The availability of an actively maintained, modern, and cross platform engine can do nothing but encourage a few more people to buy Morrowind.
Far too logical for a company. If they were able to think this way, we would have most engines open source few years after release and a real support for Linux and Mac (at least via Wine).
Well, then http://www.idsoftware.com/ can't exist because it's being too logical for a company. And also, Zenimax owns them (as well as Bethesda).