Gamifying the roadmap!

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
raevol

Gamifying the roadmap!

Post by raevol »

This is an idea I had. It's just an idea, and it's not terribly useful, but humor me.

I'm wondering if there's a way we can graphically represent our roadmap, to quickly visualize how much farther we have until all of our 1.0 features are implemented. I know I am pretty in tune with development, since I read our dev forum and write our release announcements, but even I couldn't tell you exactly how much more work we have to do. And of course any estimation of how much work we have left is going to be inaccurate, but it'd still be fun to see a sort of "progress bar" for the project.

Thoughts? I think it'd be a fun way to get people in tune with the project. It's like watching your skill bars fill as you grind up to the next level. This is completely useless for active developers, but it'd be fun for people watching the project, and might inspire some lurkers to get involved when they can see a fun way that their contribution will impact progress.
Zini

Re: Gamifying the roadmap!

Post by Zini »

I don't think this is going to work. There was a suggestion to go by the number of open issues, but that is obviously a no-go, since different issues have different complexity and we are also constantly splitting up issues into sub-issues.

We could make a list of major issues, weight these appropriately and then create a progress bar based on it. But "inaccurate" isn't even starting to describe it. Such a progress bar would move forward very erratically and even sometimes backwards. I don't think anyone would be served with that.

Nice idea, but I really don't think it is practical. The best statement we can make about overall progress at this point is that we are way past the 50% mark.