[Research Request] Magic effects stacking

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Zini

[Research Request] Magic effects stacking

Post by Zini »

It was recently pointed out to me, that the current implementation of non-instant effects is incorrect in some cases. We have not been able to conclusively decide what is the correct implementation, so some more research is required. In particularly we need to know what kind of effects with a duration (some spells, potions, ...) and permanent effects (some item enchantments, ...) stack. In particular the behavior of effects from the same source should be examined, e.g. casting the same spell twice or drinking the same potion twice.
Tarius

Re: [Research Request] Magic effects stacking

Post by Tarius »

Well I know for a fact that in order to negate the blinding effect from the Boots of Blinding Speed, you have to use resist magicka(either spell or enchanted item) BEFORE you put the boots on. Doing it afterwards will not work.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

IIRC (not quite sure about it!) attribiute and skill buffs from the same spell won't stack, BUT will stack if this are different spells (with a different name). ofc potions always stacks if the effect is stackable.

I can't check it right now. :/
raevol

Post by raevol »

Tarius wrote:Well I know for a fact that in order to negate the blinding effect from the Boots of Blinding Speed, you have to use resist magicka(either spell or enchanted item) BEFORE you put the boots on. Doing it afterwards will not work.
I think this is a trick a lot of people used, but I'll write it out here in case it's useful. In Morrowind, if you made a spell/enchantment that gave you 100% resist magicka for 1 second on self, cast it, and switched to your inventory while it was active (fast fingers), when you then equipped the boots, you would suffer no blindness, even after the resist magicka effect wore off. You would still gain the speed boost though.
Chris

Post by Chris »

raevol wrote:I think this is a trick a lot of people used, but I'll write it out here in case it's useful. In Morrowind, if you made a spell/enchantment that gave you 100% resist magicka for 1 second on self, cast it, and switched to your inventory while it was active (fast fingers), when you then equipped the boots, you would suffer no blindness, even after the resist magicka effect wore off. You would still gain the speed boost though.
Not to mention how you could create a 1 second Fortify Intelligence potion (which helps you make better potions), then quickly pop back into the alchemy menu to create better 1 second Fortify Intelligence potions, until you could create God Potions.

Honestly, though, I'm not keen on seeing these exploits stick around. You should get hit with any resisted Constant Effects when the resistance wears off (since the effects are logically still being (re-)applied), and being able to fortify attributes to godly levels is just ripe for problems (not just Intelligence, but also Speed and Strength). IMO, you're better off using the console if you want to cheat like that.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Chris wrote:
raevol wrote:I think this is a trick a lot of people used, but I'll write it out here in case it's useful. In Morrowind, if you made a spell/enchantment that gave you 100% resist magicka for 1 second on self, cast it, and switched to your inventory while it was active (fast fingers), when you then equipped the boots, you would suffer no blindness, even after the resist magicka effect wore off. You would still gain the speed boost though.
Not to mention how you could create a 1 second Fortify Intelligence potion (which helps you make better potions), then quickly pop back into the alchemy menu to create better 1 second Fortify Intelligence potions, until you could create God Potions.

Honestly, though, I'm not keen on seeing these exploits stick around. You should get hit with any resisted Constant Effects when the resistance wears off (since the effects are logically still being (re-)applied), and being able to fortify attributes to godly levels is just ripe for problems (not just Intelligence, but also Speed and Strength). IMO, you're better off using the console if you want to cheat like that.
Best left to modding.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Tarius wrote:Best left to modding.
Agreed. I know it's abusable, but it's also how the original game was written, and we're trying to replicate that. I don't think there's a strong argument that this is a "bug" that we should fix. Technically you could pull the same thing off (not the alchemy one, but the blindness one) with hotkeys, so you can't point a finger at the game pausing then in the inventory screen.
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

well way down the road later on perhaps some one can com up with an install for OMW that has check boxes to install fan fixes and mods that fixes stuff like this as well as graphics over haul (as optional items)?
Zini

Post by Zini »

These things are best handled with plugins.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Offtopic in this thread makes me sad.