What version of Open GL

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
cdoublejj

What version of Open GL

Post by cdoublejj »

What version of Open GL does OpenMW use?
cdoublejj

Re: What version of Open GL

Post by cdoublejj »

Well is there any one version Open WM is using? That just said you need at least Open GL 1. however it would be really nice if Open Mw was using Open GL 4 or if not 3 but, 3 and 2.1 are basically the same except 3 does 4.0 features using 2.1 so it doesn't get the performance gain.

On the other hand since ORGE can do dx and open gl could it just be that the DX or GL version depends on the os it's running on?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

There is nothing we can do but blaming ogre. They are working on it though: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65010
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

It seems it supports GL 3 and 4 but, i wonder what version OMW defaults to. My friend and i are guessing 2.1 which wouldn't be the end of the world i've seen game companies do well with GL.
mark

Post by mark »

Newer is not always better, unless you want OpenMW look like Assassin's Creed 3 or whatever new game. Here is why:

Many people use opensource graphics drivers for intel, ati and nvidia (nouveau) on Linux; they are the default drivers on almost every distribution I think, and the proprietary blobs from Nvidia and Ati need some extra configuration (if they work at all without major changes of key components of the distribution). After the pending release of the used OpenGL implementation (mesa v9.0) the intel driver fully supports OpenGL 3.0, the other drivers still need some work on that and then the distributions have to ship them in their next versions (this could need 1-2 years from now to just support OpenGL 3.0 and maybe OpenGL 5 will be out by then). All drivers support additional instructions (but no full instruction set) from 3.1 to 4.2 though, see http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt
I am using xf86-video-ati from git with mesa from git with git kernel etc and OpenMW works. If suddenly a newer instruction set will be enforced before the driver supports them, it will not.

But why should OpenMW enforce a higher OpenGL version anyway? The original Morrowind graphics are 10 years old and somewhat simple and angular. The 3D standards at that time were OpenGL 1.3 and DirectX 8. The current implementation looks shiny enough regarding to lightning, water etc and unless you install mods/mod-compilations like MGSO that replace the old graphic, there is no real reason to use OpenGL 5 for that ;)
By the way, mesa 9.0 will still be enough to play Left 4 Dead 2 (Half Life 2 engine) on Linux natively when Valve releases Steam for Linux, so there is still much place for improved Morrowind graphics without the need for the very latest features.

Well, and if OpenMW/Ogre use more features than my video card can handle, then I'd be happy if I can disable these features with a switch *hint hint* :)
mark

Post by mark »

this is odd, the forum did not post my reply and it is not in the browser anymore :-(

Short version: Linux graphic drivers use the OpenGL implementation Mesa, which will support OpenGL 3.0 in the pending release 9.0 (but only for intel, not ati and nouveau aka nvidia) which will be enough to play Left 4 Dead 2 natively on Linux. Most drivers support more than that but no complete sets of instructions (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt). The only safe OpenGL version on Linux is 2.1!

Unless you want to make some Assassin's Creed 3 looking OpenMW, there is no need for OpenGL 4/5/..., OpenMW already looks better than in the original (water, lightning) and using newer OpenGL won't replace the somewhat angular graphics anyway unless you install comprehensive mod compilations like MGSO (yeah yeah, it probably uses exe patches and .net and stuff but you get my idea) but OpenMW is not ready for that.
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

I'm surprised a title like assassins creed uses Open GL, now i remember it is also on Mac, still surprising. There are definite limitations to using 2.1 but, as my friend speculated it was probably the used version because it is them sot widely supported.

The whole idea behind gl 3 or 4 was for mods like MGSO but, as you said it really wouldn't need it anyways. like i said it isn't the end of the world and besides the penumbra series from frictional games looks great never mind Amnesia which looks GREAT and it uses 2.1.

so I guess that pretty much answers everything.
rudzha

Post by rudzha »

Open source graphics drivers are getting more attention with Valve's Steam Linux push and will support newer openGL features soon enough.
Pretty sure it's something for post 1.0 openMW though.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Don't forget that Torchlight was made with Ogre (1.6) and is runs on win/mac/linux/iOS/Android...

With Win, you have the choice of either DirectX or OpenGL. On other platforms, it is just OpenGL however one is not 'better' than the other, it is just a progression of additional features. It would be like saying my 2 year old son is better than my 9 year old because the eldest was treated with 'older' technology than my youngest.