Impressions of 0.18

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
WeirdSexy

Re: Impressions of 0.18

Post by WeirdSexy »

Zini wrote:Not really a bug, as far as I can tell. You haven't selected one, so you don't get one. This problem will go away on its own (together with the preview problem and the not updating the character after character creation) as soon we have the ESM storage sorted out.
Ok, if you say so. I don't know enough to suggest otherwise. I was just pointing out the difference from vanilla behavior. In Morrowind, you CAN'T not select anything. It has an option selected by default as soon as the windows open. In OpenMW, nothing is selected to begin with.
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

I reinstalled OpenMW, and once again the crash I talked about earlier happened.

I.e. on first run (with no previous settings stored):
Open Launcher
Tick all 3 esms
Press play

Not sure what you need to look into it, but I've attached the ogre.log:
ogre.log.rar
(2.98 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Zini

Post by Zini »

OGRE log is useless in this case. Try running the launcher in a console and post the output.
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

Is this what you need?

Code: Select all

Loading config file: C:\Users\Lars\Documents\My Games\openmw/openmw.cfg... done.

Loading config file: ./openmw.cfg... done.
Using default (English) font encoding.
Ignoring all but the first master file (multiple master files not yet supported)
Adding f:/games/Morrowind/Data Files\Bloodmoon.bsa
Adding f:/games/Morrowind/Data Files\Morrowind.bsa
Adding f:/games/Morrowind/Data Files\Tribunal.bsa
Data dir f:/games/Morrowind/Data Files
Loading ESM f:/games/Morrowind/Data Files\Tribunal.esm

ERROR: object Acrobat not found
Zini

Post by Zini »

That is very strange. Apparently OpenMW tries to load Tribunal.esm instead of Morrowind.esm. That obviously fails. I have no idea why that happens though. But I can reproduce it now too. Something in the launcher is seriously broken. We will investigate.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Zini wrote: We would have to profile down the cell change scenario to see if there are any improvements we can make. That is a lot of work for code that probably will not persist beyond OpenMW 1.2 or 1.3. We still have plans to implement smooth cell transitions (on a sufficient powerful box), which most likely means that we will have to re-do most of the cell loading code anyway (or at least re-arrange it). That however is even more work and can't definitely not be done before 1.0. And I don't feel like to fix something up that works okay-ish now, when it will be replaced later.
Really? Isn't 1.0 supposed to be fully capable, that is just as good as morrowind or close? Morrowind's cell loading in exteriors is way way faster and less annoying than openmw. I don't see how 1.0 could be a success without an improvement (over our current method, not Morrowind's) in this area.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Really? Isn't 1.0 supposed to be fully capable, that is just as good as morrowind or close?
Correct.
Morrowind's cell loading in exteriors is way way faster and less annoying than openmw.
That I don't see. OpenMW may be slightly slower, but the difference is not that great. Unless you have that bug mentioned before, which we are currently discussing. There are also some minor performance optimizations on the tracker, that might affect cell loading speed. But that's it basically (note that I am only talking about cell load performance, not rendering performance). Good enough for me.

Anything beyond that will require preloading cells, which is a very advanced topic, involving OGRE's resources management system, multi-threading, probably some heuristics to determine which cells to preload and lots of stuff more.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Another thing is that vanilla Morrowind caches a few more cells than it displays, I believe, so in some cases it only has to load from that cache instead of fully loading it from disk or wherever. OpenMW doesn't do this caching yet, and just (un)loads on demand.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

In Seyda Neen, when I cross a certain cell border it seems it takes like 8 seconds to load. Have also observed it in Balmora. Once I have been out in the exterior for a little while though and cross the same border there really aren't any problems. I am working off a branch that hasn't had master merged in a while so this may be something that is already fixed though like you mentioned. So I guess it is not as bad as I thought.

EDIT: Tried the .18 windows build, same time of wait on crossing the first border.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Zini wrote:This however sounds like more than the ordinary delay at cell load. Either you are exaggerating a bit or you have a problem, that does not show up here. Is there any chance you could record a small video of it or show us any other way what is happening for you?
Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNkCuwBqb2w