Stats, effects, and encapsulation

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Stats, effects, and encapsulation

Post by lgromanowski »

Star-Demon wrote: So, I'm working on my own stuff on and off, and While I can see that making a Stat class similar to OpenMW's would be useful, I'm not sure if I should encapsulate that class into something like "statGroup" in order to have one object in a player or Actor class to use instead of having a messy actor class.

I'm not sure what's more efficient. Calling mActor.getStrength().getModifed() or simply having Stats in the actor class.

How object oriented should I be in this? There's got to be a point where having all these objects being created starts taking up computation and memory. I just don't know where it is.

I also am not sure what to do about stacking or unstacking effects on the player.

I guess I would keep a simple list of effects and when putting on or taking off points from the appropriate ModifedValue, but I have a feeling that keeping track of stat bonuses or skill bonuses would involve a messy data structure that requires too much updating. Again, more computation or memory.

I have some nice classes taking form, though. I just don't know how heavy this is getting.

Any thoughts?