your grand idea

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

your grand idea

Post by lgromanowski »

sir_herrbatka wrote: hi,

Let's post some of the most overgrowth and wild ideas you have.

eg
I would want to see uber big, random dungeon under morrowind like in nethack ;-)
Guest wrote:
sir_herrbatka wrote:hi,

Let's post some of the most overgrowth and wild ideas you have.

eg
I would want to see uber big, random dungeon under morrowind like in nethack ;-)
Well there are quite large non random dungeon mods like Underground 2 and I believe there was some 100 level dungeon mod as well. They tried random dungeon generation with Daggerfall didn't they and that did not work too well...
pogzy wrote: Sorry for this wish not as big as huge random dungeons.

A database with a web access that contains all (may be a lot) of Morrowind Mod, with users comments and vote, their functional area, dependencies etc so that at startup OpenMW could ask the database and set your game mods at the best possible quality on a very easy user games settings.

The game should have a smart mod management system that could choose mods for you, any cool mods setting could be saved and became like an OpenMW theme that you could use at your wish. It should be easy to switch from one theme to another, without any issue for savegames.

The smart mod management system can choose mod for you on a very simple user wishes, such as reality enhancement, graphics enhancements, etc.
sir_herrbatka wrote:
They tried random dungeon generation with Daggerfall didn't they and that did not work too well...
Yes, but it was fun :) Anyway there are games with very good random dungeons, mostly in 2d though.
The smart mod management system can choose mod for you on a very simple user wishes, such as reality enhancement, graphics enhancements, etc.
Yeah. And we may create morrowind last.fm xD Your friend is playing morrowind with mods *list here*

Just kidding ;)

But I also like the idea.
silentthief wrote: This is kinda going on and on for a bit, but it runs with the "grand idea" title.

I came across a map-making 3rd party program, using a greyscale height map to determine how the height of the map is made. While I didn't get the best results with it (perhaps user error ;) ) it gave me the start I wanted for my Total Conversion (Sadly the TC is gone the way of the dodo and a windows crash).

But, I would like to have utilities that allow a quick creation of a world. To make a -COMPLETE- world would take time and effort to round out details, but you could perhaps have utils for generating wilderness, towns, population of the towns (percentages for services, guilds, living spaces), ect ect.
There is a new MW mod that makes for random quests (both guild and non-guild quests) dunno much else about it, tho.

One of the random dungeon generators for MW had the ability to use existing art (creature meshes) renamed and re-stated, which was alright. Kinda goes hand in hand with the fact that it made random items (various enchantments ranging from bad to good, and from weak to strong... you wouldn't want a strong bad enchantment, thats for sure).

But a random generated TC would not *by itself* make for a good game. Like I said, you would want to put some design into it and have an ultimate goal (main quest), and story.

sir_herrbatka wrote:I would want to see uber big, random dungeon under morrowind like in nethack ;-)
Just curious about this, cuz there is a distinction. And plz bear with my quoted names:

With a random-level generator, which you can find for MW you can make a random dungeon, multi-level, with random creatures, treasure, ect. This would make a level that was random, but it would be made static and wouldn't change if you and I both played the same level on our own machines.

But if you want an "in game randomized level generator", then you and I could play the same mod, walk into the same door, and face maps that the other would not have. In fact, the map may (or may not, depending on the settings) change every time you walk into the door.

The second option is technically more random, but it is also going to be much more difficult to achieve.

ST the grand random
sir_herrbatka wrote:
The second option is technically more random, but it is also going to be much more difficult to achieve.
yup. I basicly dream about NetHack like game AND vanilla morrowind above it. Bored with morrowind? Go dungeon crawl! Bored with dungeon crawl? Go to morrowind!

NetHack is extreamly complex game - the resoult of long development. It won't be possible to create 3d, graphical ultra advanced dungeon crawler but it could be a cool addition to morrowind anyway.

And it would be possible to go from one dwemer ruin to without going to the surface ;)