Yay!

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Yay!

Post by lgromanowski »

scott wrote: Hey all,

So I've had this idea for the longest time -- "Wouldn't it be cool if I could implement my own version of Morrowind and add all the things I've always wanted?". I finally got around to googling around for information on the esm/esp file format... and low and behold, I found OpenMW! Looks like someone had the same idea as me!

I'm excited to see that not only are you guys developing a reimplementation of the game, but its also open source! And you actually post your development! I think I'll be forking your git repo later tonight, and having a looksee.

Hope you guys won't mind me butting in :) I'm a C++ programmer by trade (I actually work in the games industry, though not in the AAA industry anymore), and I've been learning and do graphics in my free time. I'm excited to see you guys are using Ogre - its nice to actually be able to write a game rather than tooling around with your own engine :)

Anyhow, I look forward to helping you guys out. I see you have CMake as an open task on your roadmap, so maybe I'll help out there first.
nicolay wrote: Thanks for the interest, you are very welcome to join in on the fun!
scott wrote:So I've had this idea for the longest time -- "Wouldn't it be cool if I could implement my own version of Morrowind and add all the things I've always wanted?". I finally got around to googling around for information on the esm/esp file format... and low and behold, I found OpenMW! Looks like someone had the same idea as me!
We're not even the only one, just the biggest one :) I've seen and heard of at least five people with the same idea now, there are probably many more. Glad that you chose to join an existing project rather than start from scratch.
Hope you guys won't mind me butting in :)
Not at all. Butting in is sort of the MO around here :) we don't really appoints people to tasks, you're free to appoint yourself to tasks or suggest new tasks, or shoot in some patches first and ask forgiveness later. It's all coordinated mostly through this forum, so this is the best place to ask questions.
I'm a C++ programmer by trade (I actually work in the games industry, though not in the AAA industry anymore), and I've been learning and do graphics in my free time. I'm excited to see you guys are using Ogre - its nice to actually be able to write a game rather than tooling around with your own engine :)
That's my sentiments exactly. We're doing the same for sound, collision detection/physics, GUI and several other parts of the engine. I hope to do as little original engine-work as possible.
Sslaxx wrote:
nicolay wrote:That's my sentiments exactly. We're doing the same for sound, collision detection/physics, GUI and several other parts of the engine. I hope to do as little original engine-work as possible.
Aside, of course, from re-writing the Morrowind engine from scratch...
nicolay wrote:
Sslaxx wrote:
nicolay wrote:That's my sentiments exactly. We're doing the same for sound, collision detection/physics, GUI and several other parts of the engine. I hope to do as little original engine-work as possible.
Aside, of course, from re-writing the Morrowind engine from scratch...
Hehe, you know what I mean. I guess it would be more accurate to say as little LOW-LEVEL engine work as possible.
Greendogo wrote: Hey Scott, welcome to the project and to the forums!