wiki improvments

This is the place to discuss the Wiki contents, forum issues, themes and to propose site-related features and ideas.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

wiki improvments

Post by lgromanowski »

pogzy wrote: Hi,

Perhaps the wiki could be easier to read for the casual visitor and minor updates could help to improve it.

1. There are several orphan pages on the wiki http://openmw.org/wiki/index.php?title= ... onelyPages , how could we link existing pages to these ones so that the casual visitor could find any information about the project.

2. There are dead ends pages, which is not a real problem: http://openmw.org/wiki/index.php?title= ... adendPages. It could be helpful to add a "See also" box on top of each page that links to pages with subjects that are quite the same.

3. This point is much more difficult to put on the wiki, there is no place where the visitor could see the overall advancement of the project, and also see the overall advancement for each version. There are details pages about script implementation or potions, which is a very good point but a page with the overall advancement of the project could be very helpful for several reasons :
- any visitor could see at a glance where the status is, so that it should help to avoid misunderstanding about casual visitor or gamer that could be disappointed when running the game.
- it could be helpful for the potential contributor coder to see subject that are not at all started or the ones that are moving fast.
This could be done by a table on top of the Roadmap page that list the different parts of the project and their advancements. In each version of the roadmap could be added the advancement targeted for the concerned parts.

I am not sure that these ideas are good ones, what do you think of them?
Zini wrote: 1. These pages are outdated. A wiki visitor will not miss anything by missing them.

2. I don't see a problem here. The wiki offers enough navigation tools. If we need any navigation improvements at all, then I would suggest an additional section in the sidebar.

3. I would think that the roadmap page is pretty good as it is. You can see the progress for the current milestone in the status column and you can see what we have planned for the near future in the "Future Milestones" section.
Also, the FAQ has a section about the current status.

I am not totally opposed to the idea of having a complete list of all implementation tasks/features with a status indicator for each entry. You may remember that I originally proposed having something like this instead of the roadmap. What I am opposed to though is maintaining both in parallel. We are already short on developers, even without them spending their time on wiki bells and whistles.
pogzy wrote:
1. These pages are outdated. A wiki visitor will not miss anything by missing them.
Do you suggest we delete them, if not we should move or rewrite them.
- Contribute page, doesn't seem too outdated.
- Current Status ok, this one is outdated, we could delete it, or update it
- Downloads needs an update and a link from the main page with a big warning telling.
- Landscape : even if it not current screenshots, it should be kept to see the work that has been done (even with D code), it is like history things, the wiki is not only a snaphot of the current state
- Troubleshooting : I can just add a FIXED status.
2. I don't see a problem here. The wiki offers enough navigation tools. If we need any navigation improvements at all, then I would suggest an additional section in the sidebar.
What type of additional section in the sideBar are you thinking of? I liked a "See also" box at the top of the page.

3. You're too busy on the code (and please stay focuss on this side) to maintain such a thing on the wiki, but it was just an idea, I agree with you, it can not be on more task, but it could be a nice feature to include to the roadmap, I don't follow closely enough the project to maintain it myself.

I will try to do something about 1 & 2.
Zini wrote: 1. Update or remove, yes. Or just flag as outdated as done with "Downloads". That probably would be more wiki-like.

Regarding the contribute page:

I think the "Contributing code" section does not represent our current workflow. Basically we expect people to fork on github and work directly on the OpenMW code. I guess a one-time contribution patch is somewhat acceptable and we wouldn't reject a really great piece of work that doesn't fit into the regular workflow. But in general what is described in this section would result in pointless overhead for us developers.

Contributing for non-programmers, Writing wiki stuff:

The mailing list is pretty much dead.

Contributing for non-programmers, Testing:

We don't use test levels. At least I don't. Morrowind.esm should give us enough material to test most features.
What type of additional section in the sideBar are you thinking of?
A couple of links to pages, that act as a central hub for accessing different topic groups. Maybe:

- Development
- Media
- Content Development Documentation
- End-User Documentation

or something like that (the names would need some shortening to be used in a sidebar). We don't have the last two sections yet, but we will need them eventually.
I liked a "See also" box at the top of the page.
Well, I don't. I prefer to have only the content on the pages with minimalistic navigation. I guess that is a matter of personal preference.
Zini wrote: I think another task for a wiki editor has shown up here. Our wiki is currently not using any categories. Maybe we should change that. Its not a problem yet, but since the wiki is still growing we could as well start now to get in some more structure.

I suggest:

- Development (stuff related to actual coding)
- Brainstorming (ideas/wishlist)
- End User (documentation and media)