Keep up the good work :)

A generic talk on the OpenMW project.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Keep up the good work :)

Post by lgromanowski »

Dragatus wrote: Morrowind is the game of my life and I've spent at least 2000 hours playing it (but probably closer to 3000 hours, and maybe even 4000). Eventually after so many replays the content became a little repetitive and unable to draw me into the game all by itself and I started to feel the clunkiness of the game engine. So I statted playing other games.

But then about a year ago I learned about OpenMW and was immediately impressed. It promised to bring the greatest love of my gaming life back to life and I don't have the words to express how awesome that is.

Since the project at that time was still far from finished I just bookmarked the site for future reference and strolled away. But now a debate reminded me of it again and here I am.

I can't really offer much else than moral support, but the value of moral support should not be underestimated. ;) So I registered just to tell you guys how awesome you are and how impressed I am with your work.

So as the title says: keep up the good work! :)
Star-Demon wrote:
Dragatus wrote: So as the title says: keep up the good work! :)
Welcome! and Thanks! It's nice to see people cheering us on. When I explain the project to people who don't know about it, they immediately like it since they loved Morrowind, and the idea of Morrowind becoming more open, more extensible and more modern a game really appeals to them and gets them excited.

You don't have to be a coder to help us! If you know some decent programmers, or people with the right skills, send 'em on down to take a look and join up.
Zini wrote: There are also some non-programming jobs.

There is still a lot of research to be done. We have some data about the MW game mechanics/formulas on the wiki, but it is barely more than a start, and IIRC there are still some resource results on the forum that have not been wikified yet (movement speed and such).
While there aren't any research results we need urgently, it wouldn't hurt to get a better head start with the research.

Also, there is some work to do on the wiki. This requires some experience with mediawiki-syntax though.
sir_herrbatka wrote: here is the link to the webpage zini mentioned

http://openmw.org/wiki/index.php?title=Formulae

No movement math at all (jumping, fall damage, movement speed (walking, swiming, running, levitate)).

PS
levitate speed is calculated in different way for npc's and pc.
Dragatus wrote: I see. Well, I've currently got some upcoming exams, but afterwards I'll take a look at the formulas and see if there's anything I can do to help.
sir_herrbatka wrote: That would help.

I sugest to start with this movement stuff â?? It can be implented soon, maybe along with persuasion (that's just my guess).
Zini wrote: Sorry to disappoint you. Persuasion is still a fair bit off. The movement implementation is away even farer. When I suggested to do the movement research, we were still intending to do the implementation as Nico had planned. But in the end we went a completely different route.

It would still be useful to have the research results on the wiki.
sir_herrbatka wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBIsvs0nkYo

PS
This should become official OpenMW hymn ;-)
Lordrea wrote: Ohgodmyears.

How about something a bit more... related?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4-9xV9M1ag
sir_herrbatka wrote: Well: tits are juicy but the sound is not.

;-)