Issue tracking

A generic talk on the OpenMW project.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Issue tracking

Post by lgromanowski »

Zini wrote: We are accumulating quite a few issues that are carried over from older releases or into newer releases. For now I can keep them all in my memory, but I think we need a more efficient (and more accessible) issue tracking system. Among other things we need to deliver a list of known bugs when doing the release. Ideally I would like to just post a link to the issue tracker with each release.

The github tracker is a bit rudimentary. And it can't be linked directly from outside.
Now I am not too exited about spreading our development tools across multiple sites. But it doesn't look like we can avoid it.
Maybe we should use the google code issue tracker instead? I have no experience with google code but it looks okay-ish.
Another option would be to install an issue tracker alongside our forum/wiki. Not sure, if that is possible though, and I don't want to drop off a load of additional work into Lordrea's lap either.

Comments? Other ideas?
Peppe wrote: I don't have any experience with the google code issue tracker but since we already have a page there I think it should at least be evaluated.
raevol wrote: I think things we have established should be looked at as well, since they're more convenient, but I'd like to add my $.02 that Trac is an awesome issue tracking system. I have a lot of experience with it and love it.
Lordrea wrote:
Zini wrote:Another option would be to install an issue tracker alongside our forum/wiki. Not sure, if that is possible though, and I don't want to drop off a load of additional work into Lordrea's lap either.
It's a possibility, depending on the tracker system. It might be worth checking out Mantis and The Bug Genie. They're very easy options. Trac is an option, but a pain in the ass to manage and I have no experience doing backend stuff for it. I can install any of them to http://bugs.openmw.org/ or the like.
Zini wrote: Had a quick look at both trackers. Am I the only one who thinks that the user interface of Bug Genie looks bloated and overlay complicated?
Mantis looks a bit better, but might be overkill too. Maybe we should indeed investigate the google code tracker first. As far as I can tell it is currently deactivated for OpenMW (at least I couldn't find it on the project page). Can we change that?
ap0 wrote: bugzilla ?
heilkitty wrote: Google Code is perfectly OK for a start.
Greendogo wrote: From the perspective of someone not coding for this project, I'd like to give my vote to Mantis because it presents a very accessible way for non-coders testing the engine to look at current bugs and add new ones.

My interaction with Mantis comes from watching Tarn Adams over at Dwarf Fortress use it. It certainly helps with people wondering where their bugs stand. Here's a link in case you want to see how well it all works out.
Zini wrote: The issues issue kinda has been pushed aside over the 0.10.0 release. At this stage I really don't want to spend any more time on finding an issue tracking solution, when almost any would work for our simple needs. Can we just agree on Mantis?
pogzy wrote: I used Mantis in several projects at work and it is well balanced between ease of use and customization.