How x86 dependent is OpenMW?

A generic talk on the OpenMW project.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

How x86 dependent is OpenMW?

Post by lgromanowski »

willrandship wrote: I was thinking, if openmw is written in all C++, then it could be recompiled for other CPUs, ie ARM. any Asm code would cause problems, but since it's win/linux/mac cross ompatible asm shouldn't show up too much. An arm version of openMW would rock.

BTW, Arm OGRE exists http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 6&start=50

Also, bullet seems to work fine on ARM too, since it apparently runs on android.
http://www.bulletphysics.org/Bullet/php ... f=9&t=4158

Did I miss any important dependencies?
Zini wrote: MyGUI. And the various sound libraries.

Going ARM should not be a major problem. As I wrote in another thread the only thing we possibly have to watch out for is endianess (depending on in which mode the ARM CPU is running). Actually I am not 100% sure, if our ESM code would play nice with different endianess. But even if it doesn't changing it would be anything but hard.
Star-Demon wrote: a mouse and keyboard
Chris wrote: Sound-wise, OpenAL (Soft) and libsndfile should be fine on ARM, as long as it has FPU support. Don't know about mpg123, but it may be fine, too.
SwissCM wrote:
Star-Demon wrote:a mouse and keyboard
Morrowind controlled just fine on the XBOX with a dual-stick setup. Actually, I'd go as far as saying I preferred it since it fit better with the slower pace of the game. I even usually prefer WSAD+Mouse.
Hircine wrote: Xbox original is Intel based. so there wouldn't be much of a difference between a normal Computer & the original Xbox.

see :Tech Specs of Xbox
Star-Demon wrote: That's nice - do we have controller input handling and button handling? :)
Star-Demon wrote:
Hircine wrote:Xbox original is Intel based. so there wouldn't be much of a difference between a normal Computer & the original Xbox.

see :Tech Specs of Xbox
it will RUN, but nicely is not promised due to architecture differences. For this reason you have to reoptimize XNA projects across each platform (zune, winphone, Xbox, PC)
Hircine wrote: hopefully you know I was referring to the ORIGINAL Xbox and not the 360.

;)
Star-Demon wrote:
Hircine wrote:hopefully you know I was referring to the ORIGINAL Xbox and not the 360.

;)
DOH!
Hircine wrote: Xbox 360 is PowerPC architecture

and a hella more powerful. 3 Cores @ 3.2Ghz a piece.

it has a GPU something similiar to a high 8000 series from Nvidia. the reason games look good on it, is that its optimized and not much AA. (like no AA i think :| )

it wouldn't surprise me if it was easier to get it working on 360 than on Original, assuming we had SDK's for both machines.. :P

some can dream tho.