If I were to make a game....

A generic talk on the OpenMW project.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

If I were to make a game....

Post by lgromanowski »

willrandship wrote: I had an idea for a game I would like to make. Ideally, I would like to use an existing engine instead of making one from scratch. Are there any legal issues with using OpenMW for a commercial game? (I'm thinking licensing similar to the idea behind Quake, buy the game but the engine is open source)

I know OpenMW is far from finished, and ideally I would start working on it using vanilla MW, implementing OpenMW features in transition, which should hopefully be smooth.

Also, if anyone can help with part of the idea, how hard would it be to make animated buildings? That is a core part of the game.
gus wrote:
I had an idea for a game I would like to make. Ideally, I would like to use an existing engine instead of making one from scratch. Are there any legal issues with using OpenMW for a commercial game? (I'm thinking licensing similar to the idea behind Quake, buy the game but the engine is open source)
I don't think so, as it's GPL. As long as you redistribute the source code, it's OK. But maybe there would with the .Nif/.esm, etc. You would have to make a new file format.
Also, if anyone can help with part of the idea, how hard would it be to make animated buildings? That is a core part of the game.
This is possible i think, but you would need to rewrite some stuff in the engine (some collisions related things at least).
willrandship wrote: Good, onthe first count :P The vanilla MW engine isn't exactly commercially available :P

Yeah, that's what I expected :| it's in C++, so hopefully I shouldn't have too much trouble. All I need is for it to be able to move a little, though, not like a building shifting huge blocks of itself all over (although that would be awesome!) Just simple appearance changes to change the environment.
Star-Demon wrote: with most copyleft licenses, the general idea is to pass the rights you take for yourself to others. Whatever rights you have, they have too. :)
gus wrote:
Just simple appearance changes to change the environment.
Well, if the changes in the shape don't affect the collision shape of the building, there shouldn't be much things to change.
willrandship wrote: Yeah, at the very worst the buildings will still be the same at the base and peaks.