=)

A generic talk on the OpenMW project.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

=)

Post by lgromanowski »

RunAwayKlepto wrote: I read the post put up on the Ogre Forums, and I'm looking for a long term project.
I'd like to join up with you to gain experience in a larger project.
I've only ever made small toys, the kind one person does in a week or two.
I'm not too good with Graphics, and would like to apply for a position as a coder.
I have several books on AI which I have not quite finished reading, some of the topics covered include machine learning, which I feel goes beyond the scope of most AI, but something which is good to know.
I've not look at your project yet, Open MW, though if I am correct, it is a remake of the original morrowing in open source? If so, I am a fan of the game, though no lore-master.
I did some modding on the tamriel project, the big mod where they were remaking the main land. I really only skimmed the modding scene there, again I focused more on small toys, rather than larger projects.
Anyhow, give me a few directions, and I'd be more than happy to help out here where I can.
My resources include Visual Studio 2008 Pro, Visual Studio 2010 Pro, and about 11.5 months of MSDN Subscription.
I prefer working in native C++, but also can work in C#, I'd have to learn Visual Basic, I also can fudge in PHP, and ASP.Net, I understand Javascript, and roughly know enough to make secure logins and SSL connections through https://
I have a side project, it is hosted on source forge, its a chess program, I work on it more just to keep the gears turning in my brain, which is not as sharp as in my teens, I recently turned 36, live in Australia, and have been into computers since an early age. (Pre Commodore-64/Vic 20 back when Amstrads and Ataris ruled!)
EDIT: Seems you people are heavy linux users, I don't have it installed, but I can do that, I'm not familiar with linux nuances, but I don't think the C++ will change that radically that I can't atleast read it. I may have to get a new puter before I can start looking at your code, as I have no space on which to install linux.
A side note, is there a minimum system spec list somewhere?
Zini wrote: Welcome!

You don't have to use Linux to develop OpenMW (it helps though). We have some Windows developers and they are doing okay.

Its a bit early for any kind of AI and OpenMW 1.0 won't have plenty of it anyway. But we have a roadmap full of open tasks: http://openmw.org/wiki/index.php?title=Roadmap
Some of these have prerequisites, that must be completed, before they can be reasonably tackled. But otherwise feel free to pick whatever you like. The tasks in the "Suggested tasks" list are preferable, but you can choose something else too.
Star-Demon wrote:
RunAwayKlepto wrote:I read the post put up on the Ogre Forums, and I'm looking for a long term project.
I've only ever made small toys, the kind one person does in a week or two.
I'm not too good with Graphics, and would like to apply for a position as a coder.
I have several books on AI which I have not quite finished reading, some of the topics covered include machine learning, which I feel goes beyond the scope of most AI, but something which is good to know.
I've not look at your project yet, Open MW, though if I am correct, it is a remake of the original morrowing in open source? If so, I am a fan of the game, though no lore-master.
I did some modding on the tamriel project, the big mod where they were remaking the main land. I really only skimmed the modding scene there, again I focused more on small toys, rather than larger projects.
Anyhow, give me a few directions, and I'd be more than happy to help out here where I can.
My resources include Visual Studio 2008 Pro, Visual Studio 2010 Pro, and about 11.5 months of MSDN Subscription.
I prefer working in native C++, but also can work in C#, I'd have to learn Visual Basic, I also can fudge in PHP, and ASP.Net, I understand Javascript, and roughly know enough to make secure logins and SSL connections through https://
I have a side project, it is hosted on source forge, its a chess program, I work on it more just to keep the gears turning in my brain, which is not as sharp as in my teens, I recently turned 36, live in Australia, and have been into computers since an early age. (Pre Commodore-64/Vic 20 back when Amstrads and Ataris ruled!)
EDIT: Seems you people are heavy linux users, I don't have it installed, but I can do that, I'm not familiar with linux nuances, but I don't think the C++ will change that radically that I can't atleast read it. I may have to get a new puter before I can start looking at your code, as I have no space on which to install linux.
A side note, is there a minimum system spec list somewhere?
Welcome!

There's no "Apply" in Open Source. We're aren't a business. :) But it's great that you showed up and introduced yourself.

It's cool that you're learning AI programming. As it fits in with OpenMW, it'll be a skill you can use later, and if you chug way at it now, by the time we get to implementing NPC behavior you might have a good advantage and some experience.

You don't need to be a lore-master - We're just reproducing the game. It uses Morrowind's data, which is why we tell people to buy the game.

Awesome that you are coming from Tamriel Rebuilt. I love that mod. (PS: RELEASE MAP 3!)

We are heavy in C++, and the thinking you'll need is definitely in that language - Don't worry about visual basic. Everyone hates it. (Not sure what the other windows folk feel, but I think we should stick to VC2010.)

What I recommend is that you spend time on the wiki. Check out my guide, read up on the github FAQ and do some homework on the project. Download the source or set up your own fork and take a look. You'll get yourself set up, do some reading and thinking, and if something hits you, feel free to contribute or share.

Don't worry about having to use linux. We're weak on the Windows side of things and if we have enough folks developing in a windows environment, it'll help a lot of folks already here and who are yet to come here.

WINDOWS-BRO reporting in! :D
sir_herrbatka wrote: hello

It's all about the engine. We are developing only new, shiny engine for game not the game itself. It's almost 100% of coding job.

Nice to see you. :-)
Vance987 wrote: YAY!!! :D
raevol wrote:
RunAwayKlepto wrote:I read the post put up on the Ogre Forums, and I'm looking for a long term project.
*GLOMP*

I ruv you. :mrgreen:
RunAwayKlepto wrote: I'm still hanging around btw, just been a little tied up of late.
sir_herrbatka wrote: Star, do some epic speech to encourage klepto. NEW ERA etc. :mrgreen:
Star-Demon wrote:
sir_herrbatka wrote:Star, do some epic speech to encourage klepto. NEW ERA etc. :mrgreen:
You've been waiting around your whole life, waiting for something to come along and make you stand up out of your chair say THIS IS IT! I'm not going to settle for defeat anymore! I DON'T HAVE TO LOSE! I CAN WIN! There's something inside me that's NOT going to let me GO DOWN ANYMORE!"

And that's this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQKfxuXWXDw
sir_herrbatka wrote: Love it.

That's call to arms brother! Hand's on your keyboard, go â?? never stop till victory or death! :mrgreen: