Videos

A generic talk on the OpenMW project.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Videos

Post by lgromanowski »

pogzy wrote: Hi,

It should be nice if some kind people can post videos somewhere on the web to show each new version progress.

The wiki could then have links to these videos related to each version, it could be nice to read the changelog with some examples.
EmbraceUnity wrote: We had videos of Bullet collision and such back during the old D version. And when yacoby was building the terrain.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nkorslund

I'm sure once we actually have some new features we'll do that. Not all that much to show at the moment that hasn't already been shown.
Star-Demon wrote: I'm not sure if I have time, but I could do so. I've made a lot of game footage stuff and wouldn't mind making technical trailers.

I really want to know what that tool that came with XNA studio that was free and worked really well without a display flip to fullscreen.
sir_herrbatka wrote: hm. I can help you star, I used to be good with editing videos.
Star-Demon wrote:
sir_herrbatka wrote:hm. I can help you star, I used to be good with editing videos.
Unfortunately, we have no way of easily sharing 20 gigs of raw video.
sir_herrbatka wrote: Hmmm...

Right. Wish you well. :)
Star-Demon wrote:
sir_herrbatka wrote:Hmmm...

Right. Wish you well. :)
That's right - RUN away! :P
EmbraceUnity wrote: We can help by all seeding a compressed torrent. I am willing to pitch in.
sir_herrbatka wrote:
That's right - RUN away!
That was rude.
We can help by all seeding a compressed torrent. I am willing to pitch in.
my upload sux but It's better than nothing.
Star-Demon wrote:
sir_herrbatka wrote:
That's right - RUN away!
That was rude.
We can help by all seeding a compressed torrent. I am willing to pitch in.
my upload sux but It's better than nothing.
I'm sorry - I didn't mean to be rude, I was trying to be funny and I guess it blew up in my face.

Truth be told - I honestly don't mind some help, but the size of the files is a serious problem when partnering up to do video projects. Not sure if you like TheSpoonyOne over at thespoonyexperiment, but he has this same problem since he can't find a local editor to take the burden off of him.
sir_herrbatka wrote: no problem star.

Ok, but making just ONE trailer is not enough. It would be better to create short footage after each release.

Sadly there is no binary release for linux.
Star-Demon wrote:
sir_herrbatka wrote:no problem star.

Ok, but making just ONE trailer is not enough. It would be better to create short footage after each release.

Sadly there is no binary release for linux.
Ideally, this is what we want. Maybe this week I'll see if I can take some simple footage and perhaps narrate it a bit in my shoutcaster voice. :)

I'd like some good things to say, along with good plans. If I do this I'll have to read our current accomplishments carefully to have a lot to bring to the table while talking.

Speaking of shoutcasting, there's something I haven't done in a long time. Maybe I should cover a match or two just to get the rust off.
sir_herrbatka wrote: so no videos? :(
Star-Demon wrote:
sir_herrbatka wrote:so no videos? :(
Hmmm...

Well, I'm kinda bored this weekend outside of studying for two finals. I'll see if I can record some stuff.

first thing's first, update my backup Data Files, then install openMW and paste that in....

I'll edit as I go on. I have some time today.

EDIT: Okies...after what seems like 15 or 20 takes, I think I'm done. I'm not sure if everything I said was best, but with just talking points from the changelog and roadmap, I'd say it's not a bad start. If you guys have any suggestions let me know.

EDIT: New link will go here come time

This is pretty funny. I should make a montage of my failed takes...hehe.
Zini wrote: Not bad actually. You got a few facts wrong:

- We are not done with D yet. From the first moment of the restart on, we didn't have any D code in the active codebase. But there was old D code, that waited to be ported to C++ and that hasn't changed yet.

- Caelum may only be a stopgap. We haven't decided yet, if we will keep it, since keeping it would require an extensive rewrite.

- You missed quite a bit of my work on game mechanics (player stats and such) and world interaction (don't remember myself exactly how much of it went into 0.08 and how much is part of the code, that will become 0.09).

Edit: Didn't notice these until watching it a second time:

- Your comments sound as if terrain rendering would be the starting point of the exterior implementation. But actually exterior implementation is done except terrain and speed optimisations. So terrain is actually the final element, that will be added to the exteriors.

- We can't handle ESPs yet.

But I think the video can stay as it is, since these are all minor errors. Its pretty good PR. Well done.
Star-Demon wrote:
Zini wrote:Not bad actually. You got a few facts wrong:

- We are not done with D yet. From the first moment of the restart on, we didn't have any D code in the active codebase. But there was old D code, that waited to be ported to C++ and that hasn't changed yet.

- Caelum may only be a stopgap. We haven't decided yet, if we will keep it, since keeping it would require an extensive rewrite.

- You missed quite a bit of my work on game mechanics (player stats and such) and world interaction (don't remember myself exactly how much of it went into 0.08 and how much is part of the code, that will become 0.09).

Edit: Didn't notice these until watching it a second time:

- Your comments sound as if terrain rendering would be the starting point of the exterior implementation. But actually exterior implementation is done except terrain and speed optimisations. So terrain is actually the final element, that will be added to the exteriors.

- We can't handle ESPs yet.

But I think the video can stay as it is, since these are all minor errors. Its pretty good PR. Well done.
No problem - I'll see if I can replace it with something later and work out a solid script. We'll see what I can get done over the weekend. I don't like leaving misinformation out there when I have to correct it, so I've removed it for the time being.
Star-Demon wrote: Just to clarify - those values in the GUI - They are taking values and rendering the magic-chance and durability bars appropriately?

also - If there's anything else to highlight about 0.09 please speak up. I've been keeping up but some things go left unspoken and I want stuff to show.
Zini wrote: We are talking 0.09 code here, yes?

Well, thinking about it, the game mechanics part was kinda covered by mentioning the character creation. While there are some pieces of code, that are not directly related to character creation, these can't be experienced during normal "gameplay". This is mostly background stuff.
The bars in the bottom-left corner (health, magicka and such) are adjusted according to the outcome of the character creation.

More important is probably the world-interaction part. You can pick up stuff (no GUI for the inventory yet) and you can use those doors, that allow you to change cell. Well, most of them anyway, since the lock mechanism is already in place, but keys and lockpicking are not implemented.

An important point to note here is, that the targeting is still based on OGRE axis-aligned bounding boxes, which lack precision. The aiming code will be replaced entirely once we have collision meshes working. But for now, a lot of objects are a bit tricky or entirely impossible to target. That may get in the way a bit while making the video.

Other things to try with the 0.09 code base are the GUI (provisionally invoked by pressing the I key) and the character creation windows (for now invoked via various console instructions; EnableNameMenu and such -> see wiki for more details).

Also, you could try the exteriors. Better not something very dense, because of the missing speed optimisations the framerate sucks right now.

I am a bit fuzzy about which parts were already in the 0.08 version. If you are still using the 0.08 release some of the above will not work. Also, if you are using the 0.09 code base, you should use my fork instead of Nico's, since it has a lot more improvements.
Star-Demon wrote: I'm primarily showing off 0.08, and mentioning progress towards 0.09.

I don't want to try a latest build first because it probably will not build or run. So - I'll start with 0.08 as I have, and maybe on winter break I'll see about resetting my fork, starting over, and giving a windows build another try.

My fork is linked to yours, I think.

I think I got most of it covered, then - thanks for telling me about the picking things up part - that'll definitely catch some attention.