How many people know about this project?

A generic talk on the OpenMW project.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

How many people know about this project?

Post by lgromanowski »

mate wrote: I just found out about OpenMW by chance when someone mentioned it on the bethesda forums. I have since made a thread about it and it has got about 12 replies, only half of them knew of OpenMW's existence though. So, are there any efforts to spread the word of this project to gather more contributors and donations?
Perhaps this is something a non-coder like me can do to help?
Star-Demon wrote:
mate wrote:I just found out about OpenMW by chance when someone mentioned it on the bethesda forums. I have since made a thread about it and it has got about 12 replies, only half of them knew of OpenMW's existence though. So, are there any efforts to spread the word of this project to gather more contributors and donations?
Perhaps this is something a non-coder like me can do to help?
There used to be a thread on the bethsoft forums about it, which is how I caught wind of it last year.

Probably would be best to get 0.08 packaged and ready, then make an announcement. That seems to be the best way to get attention. You don't want to show up empty-handed, which is something that is becoming an increasing problem with other projects, and no one is impressed as a result.

The attitude, understandably so for a user, is "what have you brought me?"

Later on, as we get closer to certain milestones, we should probably get a team together and make a simple but global mod that will showcase features.
pogzy wrote: Hi,

On an other hand, even if I am not so old on this project, it seems to me that there is an acceleration since the last few months.

The new wiki, this forum, some strong contributors. Maybe it is time, even if we are still far from the v1.0 to look for new contributors. Even if we are not looking right now for players.

But at each new release, we should try to tell the world the news loud and clear!
Petrell wrote: Informing news sites (RPGWatch, *couch* RPGCodex *couch* *couch* ;) , Linux Game Tome, Free Gamer and the like) about major releases would probably help spread word around.
mate wrote: Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a weekly mod news post. Definately would be worth getting in contact come the release of 0.8
Pahanilmanlintu wrote: There's a new gaming site by the name ubuntu gamer. It seems to have immediately become rather popular because it's a sibling to omg!ubuntu. They made a nice and enthusiastic news piece about openmw. Some facts are a tad off, but they got a lot of cheerful replies from people that apparently haven't heard of openmw before. Linky
sir_herrbatka wrote: lol, they are almost so excited as I was when I found this project :D
tombofsoldier wrote: It's not really a good idea to advertise it all over the place right now. The forum goers and OSS community know it's going to take a while. But gamers aren't so patient, tell everyone too early and then their patience runs out after about six months and you ruined your good will with a lot of people. (See Black Mesa Source and etc.)

Considering this could be a great thing to put on their resume for all our awesome coders that's the last thing I want to see happen, the better the press this gets the better for them. I fully plan on telling as many sites and people as possible when it gets near release and not before then.
Vance987 wrote: Awww, I'm not like that. I'll be here all the way. :)
Guest wrote: same here! of course, I'm an OSS gamer :P I have a small idea of the work it takes to accomplish something this huge.
safferli wrote: Hiya!

I just registered to say that I'm fully hyped about this project... Being able to play MW on linux would be grand.

I've been following this site for some time, since the freegamer post actually (6 months ago? no idea). Now with the "resurrection" (of sorts), I wanted to give my moral support -- as a non-coder, non-artist, that's about all I can give.

Thank you everyone for working on this project, and all of the effort you put into it. It's really, really appreciated, and it's fantastic to have you all! :)