Donations For OpenMW

A generic talk on the OpenMW project.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Donations For OpenMW

Post by lgromanowski »

Wasabi wrote: Hypothetically, if a sum of around 10,000 dollars USD was donated to the developers of Open MW, how soon could it be finished?
bloodsheder wrote: :shock: kinda desperate there?
Vance987 wrote: LOL!!! Probably immediately since the guy would get rich off of this one FREE project. lmao
Zini wrote: You are joking, right? 10000 isn't even remotely enough as a reasonable payment for the time invested into a project of this size (assuming somebody would be dropping his day job and start working full-time on it). Even with all the free 3rd party open source component used, you probably have to add at least another 0.
Lordrea wrote: Nico is a busy guy - he hasn't been on the forums for the last 10 days, unlike us. A grand probably wouldn't change that, and it would just dishearten all the people who put money into the fund.

More active developers, not more money, is what we need.
Wasabi wrote:
Lordrea wrote:Nico is a busy guy - he hasn't been on the forums for the last 10 days, unlike us. A grand probably wouldn't change that, and it would just dishearten all the people who put money into the fund.

More active developers, not more money, is what we need.
Understandable, but where do you get more dev's?
Vance987 wrote: Look at http://dungeonhack.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

We need to get a roadmap first of all... then we need an open development team kinda like this website has. Have it all layed out plain and simple to the public. Also... keep updating the front page... now the wiki.... every month. Not every now and then. It tells people like me.. uhh... how long again is this going to take...? I know Nico is very busy, but even I have time to log into a bunch of forums almost every day, plus I don't even have a computer.

This is not being disrespectful in any way. I'm just telling the facts that without slow and steady progression, (Shown publicly) people will soon think the project is dead and just forget it.
Vance987 wrote: Theres a donation thingy now ^_^ check it out.

http://gamedevzen.com/2010/05/donate-to-openmw/
nicolay wrote: Thanks vance, I was gonna post that but you beat me to it :)
Vance987 wrote:Look at http://dungeonhack.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

We need to get a roadmap first of all... then we need an open development team kinda like this website has. Have it all layed out plain and simple to the public. Also... keep updating the front page... now the wiki.... every month. Not every now and then. It tells people like me.. uhh... how long again is this going to take...?
I actually agree 100% with everything you just said. The dungeonhack site is very informative and clean. I think we have a lot to learn from them about organizing the site and the community.

Well, now I finally do have the time again (I'll post about that in announce shortly.) And I think a roadmap is exactly what we need now! I'll ask the DH guys what kind of software their using for their Wiki roadmap. In the meantime I suppose a pure text one will do fine.

As for the front page: I hope we can get a Wiki RSS extension set up in a short while. (There are some, like this one. What do you think Lordrea?) Then we could always show the latest news (from the announce forum or wherever) on the front page.
nicolay wrote:
Zini wrote:You are joking, right? 10000 isn't even remotely enough as a reasonable payment for the time invested into a project of this size (assuming somebody would be dropping his day job and start working full-time on it).
Considering that I just dropped my day job, I feel qualified to comment :)

To answer the question for myself personally, a hypothetical $10000 would probably "buy" me an additional 5-6 months of working on OpenMW, without having to take another job. That's in addition to what I've already saved up for. Maybe that's nowhere near "reasonable" payment, but IMHO the project IS the payment, the money would just be for food and rent.
Zini wrote: Since this thread already got sidetracked to the topic of web-layout and organisation, any chance the github repository commit log can be hooked up on to a twitter account like Ogre currently does?

https://twitter.com/ogre_commits

No idea about git or github, but for Ogre's Mercurial repository at BitBucked it seemed to be rather easy.
nicolay wrote:
Zini wrote:Since this thread already got sidetracked to the topic of web-layout and organisation, any chance the github repository commit log can be hooked up on to a twitter account like Ogre currently does?

https://twitter.com/ogre_commits

No idea about git or github, but for Ogre's Mercurial repository at BitBucked it seemed to be rather easy.
Done:
https://twitter.com/openmw_commits
Zini wrote: Nice! Thanks.
raevol wrote:
Are you serious. This is the coolest thing in my life.
pogzy wrote: Hi,

The roadmap in DH site seams to be a wiki table as I started one for the wish list. I think there should be a way to create via in line script the status progress percentage, I will to take a look at the mediawiki doc to see how to do that. Then I will initiate a Roadmap page and Nico and other key people will just have to fill it ;)

The only mean to attract more dev is to organise ourselves (the project) to make it attractive and to facilitate any newcomer:

- The roadmap is the very first step.
- The second step is a tracking system for bugs and features. Sourceforge has one which could do the job. In this tracking system we should key in all items of the todo list, then it will become the main project todo list. For each feature, we can set a dead line, a responsible name so that newcomers can ask and take in charge some work package. The tracking system should track core dev work packages, but also features related to the wiki/web site, forum, design, music, etc. Tracking system should enable us to dispatch the work among any volunteer.
- Another very important point is to show the project is alive and is going forward, news, news and news, twitter etc. But a twitter account with no message could be worst that nothing, twitter is cool if you have a much sustained amount of twits per week.

The roadmap and the tracking system are the key points, if we set both, then every one can help as far as he/she wants and can, and the project will be more attractive for any newcomer.
Vance987 wrote: Oh my buddha! :shock:
I'm gunna make a twitter just for this. ^-^
Zini wrote: Looks like there is a problem with openmw_commits. I only see two tweets, but in the same time period there were four commits.
nicolay wrote:
Zini wrote:Looks like there is a problem with openmw_commits. I only see two tweets, but in the same time period there were four commits.
Yeah, I saw that too. Looks like it doesn't always manage to submit everything to Twitter. I don't think there's much I can do to fix it though.