Could you please clarify?

A generic talk on the OpenMW project.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Could you please clarify?

Post by lgromanowski »

pogzy wrote: Hi,

I'm very pleased to see there is a forum available to discuss about OpenMW. Can you please clarify what are the differences between the old & new tools?

If I am right, the new Wiki will replace the current sourceforge web site, the current ML will be devoted to technical dev stuff, the forum to open discussions (except technical dev stuff?).

It should be fine if all the pages of the current sourceforge website are kept (on the new Wiki?). Can anybody confirm this? I've began to translate a page to French (my mother tongue), which is quite finished, but what Iâ??ll do of my translated page?

The new wiki does not seem to be internationalized, does someone can turn this option on, and so we can contribute by translating pages to other languages.

Does all the pages from the web site and the sourceforge wiki need to be created to the new one?

Does the sourceforge web site pages needs to be created to the new wiki?

I've already seen on other projects too many tools so that nobody knows on which one put the up to date news and useful things. I am sorry if it seems rude from me, but I hope it won't happens to this wonderful project, so please clarify and limit the tools.

If there is a wiki, a ML, and a forum, Could the main page of the wiki keep the entry to the main articles that were available in the sourceforge web site?

A â??Newsâ? section would be fine. It would be marvelous if there were news once a month at least from the dev front.

Once the sourceforge wiki and web site pages are translated to the new wiki, it could be fine to remove both and to redirect sourceforge.

Bye
nicolay wrote:
pogzy wrote:Hi,
It should be fine if all the pages of the current sourceforge website are kept (on the new Wiki?). Can anybody confirm this?
Yup, that's the plan. I hope to get the rest of the old page moved over soon, and the old pages replaced with a link to their new replacements.
I've began to translate a page to French (my mother tongue), which is quite finished, but what Iâ??ll do of my translated page?

The new wiki does not seem to be internationalized, does someone can turn this option on, and so we can contribute by translating pages to other languages.
I also think this is a good idea, but I don't know what it takes techincally though. I'll ask Lordrea about it.
I've already seen on other projects too many tools so that nobody knows on which one put the up to date news and useful things. I am sorry if it seems rude from me, but I hope it won't happens to this wonderful project, so please clarify and limit the tools.
I absolutely agree with this, and it might be a big problem. That's why I'd like to move most of the old pages to the new one and then put the old pages down (or replace with redirects.)

As for the forum vs. ML, I'm still undecided myself. I'm going to keep the ML around for a while, but in principle I'm not against shutting it down and moving everything here in time.
Lordrea wrote:
nicolay wrote:
pogzy wrote:I've began to translate a page to French (my mother tongue), which is quite finished, but what Iâ??ll do of my translated page?

I also think this is a good idea, but I don't know what it takes techincally though. I'll ask Lordrea about it.
MediaWiki, by default, does not support localization. Wikipedia solves this problem by using many custom APIs, and by having different 'cores' per language. A project of OpenMW's size doesn't really justify that, sadly.

I'll keep thinking on it, and I'll take a look at different plugins for MediaWiki. The solution might have to be dirty, though - you might have to create a page called "[<language code>] <page title in localized language>", such as "[FR] T?Šl?Šcharger" (or whatever it is. I don't speak French!).
pogzy wrote: Hi,

Translation
Even if OpenMW is a small project, translations should be kept because:
- not everybody speak English well enough to follow OpenMW life in english.
- it was available in the first version of the web site, so we should keep it, because it is bad to remove some functionalities (like if you remove some API, are you sure that nobody was using them..), in fact we should keep some translated versions of the main pages (presentation of the project, download and install etc).
- In MediaWiki web site, there is a page: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Language_policy that explains how to handle other languages in a wiki using mediawiki. We should just try.

WIKI vs ML vs web page
It could help to keep a separate place to handle only technical coding stuff, and a ML is usually a better place to handle that than a forum, a forum is a good place to discuss, to brainstorm, but not to dive deeply in technical stuff.

Replacing the web site by wiki is not an issue, as far as it contains the main items of the web site,
* Home / Presentation page of the project with main links
* Download section / how to install and use it
* Changelog / History / Roadmap
* Mailing list => How to set a dev env, any links to materials needed by contributors who want to code
* Screenshots & Videos / sort of showroom
* About / FAQ
By