Suggestions?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Suggestions?

Post by lgromanowski »

Star-Demon wrote: Okay folks - I got me a few weeks of free time, and among many exciting things I'm wanting to do - I have some plans and getting some good stuff done here at OpenMW, but first I wanna ask you some questions:

Is there anything you'd really like written down, compiled, or investigated with the project?

What would be the top three things you could get as programmers and as developers that could help you get a lot of work done and get really involved?

Are there any things you currently don't understand about OpenMW at the moment that make it hard for you to get into the project?

With that, I'll be making a nice TODO list for myself soon, so here's your chance to get something you think is needed.

EDIT: Feel free to PM me, guys.
raevol wrote: Todo: Find Nico. ;)
heilkitty wrote: My suggestion is to make an alternative git branch/repo that could act as "main" while Nico is absent.
Zini wrote: Still living in SVN times, eh? Git is a DVCS. There is no need to make anything new. We just declare that one of the existing forks is the main repository and we are done.
Star-Demon wrote: Zini is right - what I actually like bout Git is that they live up to the "community coding" thing. My own fork, for example, is out of date in in disrepair, I'll be getting some sit studying done and fix my own fork, and to do this I can draw changes from anyone I want.
heilkitty wrote:
Zini wrote:Still living in SVN times, eh? Git is a DVCS. There is no need to make anything new. We just declare that one of the existing forks is the main repository and we are done.
Screw the SVN-ish terms, I meant kinda the same thing. Declaring some fork as the main one if there is a fork suitable to be main.
Star-Demon wrote: Not to be a pain, but I want to stay on topic for this. I really want to know what it'll take to get people on board and contributing more - also - some explanation would also be helpful.

As for a new master fork - I don't understand what's holding you back with that, heilkitty. Can you explain?
gus wrote: I know it's very vague, but i think that something explaining how the original morrowind works would be nice (script system, NPC, data saves,etc). For people like me who have never moded morrowind it would be very helpful.
For OpenMW itself, a brief description of each part of the programm and how they work together would be nice. (I know this is vague too^^).
Star-Demon wrote:
gus wrote:I know it's very vague, but i think that something explaining how the original morrowind works would be nice (script system, NPC, data saves,etc). For people like me who have never moded morrowind it would be very helpful.
For OpenMW itself, a brief description of each part of the program and how they work together would be nice. (I know this is vague too^^).
We have (or will have) a lot of that in the wiki - and UESP wiki has a lot of that, too.
Star-Demon wrote: Also: Zini - is this up to date?
http://zinnschlag.github.com/openmw/annotated.html

Expect some new wiki work in the next few days...
Zini wrote: Define up to date ;)

I think the uploaded doxygen documentation matches the master branch in Nico's repository (or at least it is only a few commits behind). The forks are not included though, which means the documentation is more than two months old.
Star-Demon wrote:
Zini wrote:Define up to date ;)

I think the uploaded doxygen documentation matches the master branch in Nico's repository (or at least it is only a few commits behind). The forks are not included though, which means the documentation is more than two months old.
I figured it was about that - can we get it up to date to the current progress of the project, or do we have to wait for the master fork to accept all the recent commits and changes?

Sorry if I'm asking really basic questions - there's a lot I'm trying to take in all at once for the next couple weeks...
Zini wrote: No chance. We can't run Doxygen across several branches/forks.

For integrating all the work into one branch: That will be a substantial piece of work. Some of the branches are not ready yet. I suspect that one is mostly obsolete by now. And some of the merges will probably not be trivial. At least quite a bit of code review will be needed. Not going to happen until either Nico returns or we have concluded that he won't return in the near future and following that we have successfully reorganise ourself.

btw. these questions aren't that basic.
Star-Demon wrote:
Zini wrote:No chance. We can't run Doxygen across several branches/forks.

For integrating all the work into one branch: That will be a substantial piece of work. Some of the branches are not ready yet. I suspect that one is mostly obsolete by now. And some of the merges will probably not be trivial. At least quite a bit of code review will be needed. Not going to happen until either Nico returns or we have concluded that he won't return in the near future and following that we have successfully reorganise ourself.

btw. these questions aren't that basic.
Okay - I know some of what I'm asking is about the basic functionality of DOxy...

This raises some interesting questions. I'll have to think a lot in the next few sessions about it.