Change in openmw.cfg the path to your original "Data File"?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Change in openmw.cfg the path to your original "Data File"?

Post by lgromanowski »

MarkS wrote: The installation instructions need to be rewritten.

This line is poorly worded and incomplete:
"Change in openmw.cfg the path to your original "Data File" of Morrowind."

When I open "openmw.cfg" for the first time, I see "data=data". Changing this to "data="C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files"" doesn't work. Moreover, is the wording of "Data File" intended? Am I linking to a specific data file OR am I linking to the Data FILES directory?

This is very unclear.
ap0 wrote: 1. Modify the variable
2. See if it works
3. If it doesn't, go to step 1
4. Edit the wiki

[edit] : (really) Sorry for being so rude : I'm really tired.
The fact is that their is no windows developer for the moment.
If I remember correctly,

Code: Select all

data="C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files"
must works.
MarkS wrote:
ap0 wrote:1. Modify the variable
2. See if it works
3. If it doesn't, go to step 1
4. Edit the wiki
That is absolutely unhelpful!

There are many questions that need to be asked:
1.) Will spaces in the path break the app? This is common.
2.) Are quotes needed?
3.) Am I specifying a link to a data file or the data files directory?
4.) It starts out as "data=data(with a couple of unprintable characters)". Is that done for a reason? Should it be set by the user to "data=data"path""?
Considering that the various options I have tried do not work, something is wrong. It is either a problem with the app or with the configuration file.

The wiki is poorly written. Whoever wrote it needs to go in and fix it. As it is currently written, OpenMW cannot be properly installed. I am not affiliated with this project, just an interested user and player of Morrowind. It is not, nor should it be my responsibility to fix an error that I know nothing about.

That reply was not just unhelpful, but it was rude. This is no way to welcome someone to this community. I am a developer and I may want to contribute, but not if this is the attitude of this community.
ap0 wrote: Sorry.
I edited my message
Star-Demon wrote:
MarkS wrote:The wiki is poorly written. Whoever wrote it needs to go in and fix it. As it is currently written, OpenMW cannot be properly installed. I am not affiliated with this project, just an interested user and player of Morrowind. It is not, nor should it be my responsibility to fix an error that I know nothing about.

That reply was not just unhelpful, but it was rude. This is no way to welcome someone to this community. I am a developer and I may want to contribute, but not if this is the attitude of this community.
Hey there!

I too thought the wiki was lacking, so I decided to get involved and help write more of it when I could. I tend to stick to certain corners of it, though, and I obviously can't get the amount of volume out that someone writing documentation professionally could.

No one person is responsible for it, and, if you think about it, demanding such a role from someone who's donating their good time here is unreasonable.

At any rate, ap0 apologized, but to underline one thing - we encourage everyone to make whatever necessary edits to the wiki they need to because, as a community, it's a community effort, many of us don't have time or resources to answer things in detail or catch others up to speed - (although I'm surprised this took place in the space of one day) that is why I'm trying to get the collective knowledge into the wiki, but, obviously, I can't do it alone, and neither can a group of three contributors who would much rather be coding than telling others how to code of playing tier 0 support.

the "data=" path is set to default to Oblivion's "Data" folder. This was an oversight as Morrowind's default folder is "Data Files". All you need to to is type "data=Data Files", without quotes into the config file.

At any rate - Welcome!
Zini wrote: Minor corrections:
the "data=" path is set to default to Oblivion's "Data" folder.
The data path is set to the directory on my Linux box, which I happened to name data and which is a copy of the Data Files directory on my Windows partition. This is obviously only a placeholder. For Linux there isn't really a sensible default (though we might try to pick up a Morrowind installation under Wine). On Windows it should pick the default installation path. But this is not implemented yet. Therefore the path must be set manually for now.
All you need to to is type "data=Data Files", without quotes into the config file.
That would only work if you install OpenMW into your Morrowind directory. Else you have to give the full path.
MarkS wrote:
ap0 wrote:Sorry.
I edited my message
It's OK and I didn't mean to fly off the handle, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. If I knew the answer and thus could edit the Wiki, I wouldn't have posted the question.
Star-Demon wrote:the "data=" path is set to default to Oblivion's "Data" folder. This was an oversight as Morrowind's default folder is "Data Files". All you need to to is type "data=Data Files", without quotes into the config file.
That worked! I would not have guessed that! I really was expecting to have to type the path. However, typing the path did not work. :?
Zini wrote:That would only work if you install OpenMW into your Morrowind directory. Else you have to give the full path.
You may be correct. I copied the Data Files directory to the OpenMW directory, so that may be why it works. Still, if that is why it works, why didn't it work with the full directory path?
Zini wrote: It should. Can you post the log messages you get with a full path? I am not sure about the exact configuration of the windows binary. You may need to run OpenMW from the command line to get log messages.
Star-Demon wrote:
Zini wrote:That would only work if you install OpenMW into your Morrowind directory. Else you have to give the full path.
I copy my data files folder into the openMW directory. :) My bad, I should have mentioned that.