Idea for the mod system

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Idea for the mod system

Post by lgromanowski »

Ellos wrote: I have this idea to let every mod have its own directory, so that if a mod normally overwrites already existing meshes, textures, sounds etc. from the morrowind/tribunal/bloodmoon data files they can't do that now because every mod gets its own directory,

OpenMW would then just go through all the folders with the loading order still there and the last one to change something would really get loaded, this is for the game exactly the same, because if i would extract 2 mods which both overwrite the same texture the last mod(texture) i extract would get loaded (logical) it also keeps exactly the same mod structure etcetera only its all in its own folder.

This would save so much work if you wanted to fully delete a mod because all its changes are isolated.

It is also not hard to implement this and gigabytes are not a problem anymore.

P.S.
First post yay ;)
I can program so there is a chance that after my exams I will come and help you guys finish this great project
Star-Demon wrote: Firstly - Welcome!

Secondly - Actually, your solution increases load and process times dramatically as well as requires more storage space for however many duplicate resources a user might have (since, as you said every one carries its own version of the same resource) - just for the sake of more logical storage for a user. I don't think it's worth it. How many of your solution's methods require sequential access for infinitely expanding and random situations?

I'm sorry to shoot you down - but what you propose just isn't a good idea to me because most of those little processes in order to correctly load and process the load order involves multiplying many N's together on even larger amounts of data.

and Third - It's not the way it was originally implemented - thus is a only considerable for post-1.0.0 features or changes.
Chris wrote:
Ellos wrote:I have this idea to let every mod have its own directory, so that if a mod normally overwrites already existing meshes, textures, sounds etc. from the morrowind/tribunal/bloodmoon data files they can't do that now because every mod gets its own directory,
A better feature might be what Oblivion does (don't know if Morrowind does it). If a mod called Foo.esm/esp is loaded, then the engine automatically loads/recognizes Foo*.bsa along with it, and the BSA(s) would contain the meshes, textures, sounds, etc, the mod uses.

For mods that don't use BSAs, a tool like Wrye Mash would help keep mod files managed.